Genre Headings and Other Controlled Vocabularies
Use the 655 field to make reference to features included in the special controlled vocabularies/thesauri developed by the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee available at http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/controlled_vocabularies/index.shtml. Any term that is copy-specific should also include ‡5 IU-R at the end of the field.
RBMS controlled vocabulary entries should be subdivided by country and by century. The indicators for the 655 field are “_ 7”, to allow for a source code subfield at the end of the field, as follows:
In addition, accurate cataloging of rare materials is essential for security reasons. The catalog should record copy-specific information that would uniquely identify the library’s copy or copies from other copies of the same title for legal purposes.
- Genre Terms: 655 _ 7 ‡a term ‡z country ‡y century. ‡2 rbgenr
- Binding Terms: 655 _ 7 ‡a term (Binding) ‡z country ‡y century ‡2 rbbin
- Provenance Evidence: 655 _ 7 ‡a term (Provenance) ‡z country ‡y century ‡2 rbpro
- Printing & Publishing Evidence: 655 _ 7 ‡a term (Printing) ‡z country ‡y century ‡2 rbpri
- Printing & Publishing Evidence: 655 _ 7 ‡a term (Publishing) ‡z country ‡y century ‡2 rbpub
The following genre headings will be used, where appropriate, for rare and special items:
- Acting editions
- Artists’ books
- Booksellers’ advertisements
- Booksellers’ catalogs
- Emblem books
- Festival books
- Illustrated works [where illustrative matter comprises 30% or more of the work, or when the work is otherwise significant for its illustrations]
- Publishers’ advertisements
- Publishers’ catalogs
- Writing books
Any additional headings from authorized vocabularies/thesauri may be added at the cataloger’s discretion.