Educator Resource Trunks
About the trunks
The Prairie Research Institute Library is a loan location for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources Resources Trunks for Educators, and also for the Prairie Research Institute's Naturally Illinois Science Box. Each trunk is a collection of educational resources, including specimens, books, kits, and activities appropriate for a wide age-range of learners.
Who can borrow trunks?
- Educators including classroom teachers, Scout leaders, 4H leaders or project helpers may borrow a trunk.
- Institute Staff are welcome to borrow them for outreach activities.
- You do not need to be affiliated with the Institute or the University to borrow a trunk, and you do not have to have a library card of any kind.
- There is no charge to borrow a trunk.
Trunks at the Prairie Research Institute Library
How do I borrow a trunk?
- To reserve one of our trunks email us or call 217- 333-6892.
- You can check availability from the links above.
- The standard loan period for a trunk is 2 weeks.
- Pick up and return trunks Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm at the Prairie Research Institute Library.
Are there other trunks and lending locations?
- Trunks are also available locally from the Anita Purves Nature Center.
- For a complete list of all trunks available from the Department of Natural Resources and their lending locations, see Teacher Resources on the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website.