Prairie Research Institute Library Services
Assistance is available for all aspects of library research, including selecting search tools, performing searches, or locating hard to find items. Contact us by phone (217-333-6892) or visit us for in-person assistance whenever the library is open, or by email anytime. Institute staff may also contact your librarian directly for any research assistance.
Library Orientation and Training
The Institute Library is part of one of the largest academic libraries in the nation. Learn to use it effectively!
New Institute Staff are urged to arrange an orientation session. To request a session for yourself or a group, contact your librarian.
The News from the Library blog is a current awareness service from the Institute librarians which covers topics of interest to Institute researchers.
Subscribe to the blog via Email to be notified of new posts, or subscribe to RSS feeds (here's how) for specific categories on our blog (examples below).
Most journals, literature databases, and news sources offer automated email or RSS alerts, either for table of contents or for new content on a particular topic.
The resources below will guide you in setting up alerts. For help choosing appropriate sources and setting up alerts, contact your librarian.
Delivery of Materials
You may request campus mail delivery of materials from the University Library or I-Share. Note that campus mail delivery is slower than pickup from a library desk. You may request delivery of materials from the University Library or I-Share to any University Library desk for pickup.
Field stations / off-campus
You may request delivery of University Library or I-Share materials to the I-Share Library nearest to you (see map of I-Share libraries).
Delivery is quick--usually within a week, and you can check materials out with your i-Card. If no convenient I-Share pickup location, we can mail University Library materials to you. Contact the Institute Library desk for assistance.
Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
Materials requested for loan via ILLiad are delivered to faculty via campus mail. If you have an adjunct faculty appointment, you are eligible for campus mail delivery of these materials. This service is available to on-campus faculty only. Otherwise, materials must be picked up from the Main Library.
- IDEALS offers long-term digital preservation for your work, including manuscripts and data sets maybe deposited.
- Need archiving assistance or advice? Contact your librarian.
Computing, Scanning, and Printing
Wireless Internet Access
The following wireless networks are available in the Prairie Research Institute Library.
Public Workstations and Scanner
- We have two public workstations with internet access and access to campus-licensed library resources.
- One workstation is equipped with a Canon CanoScan8800F flatbed scanner with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements.
- Software includes Microsoft Office applications and accessibility applications.
- See "Standard Software Configuration for Public PCs" on the University Library's Public PCs: Hardware/Software page for a complete list of available software.
- All are welcome to use the public workstations and scanner. No login is required.
- Black and white printing is available on site for those with a campus NetID.
The cost to print is 0.10 per page, and login with NetID and AD password is required to print.
- Color print jobs must be printed out at Funk-ACES, Main, Undergraduate, or Engineering-Grainger Libraries.
- Those without NetIDs may send print jobs to the Undergraduate Library where they will accept cash payment.
New Materials and Topical Displays
- Topical Displays of materials are also offered.
- These may be accompanied by an online bibliography or research guide.
- To coordinate a topical display in the Institute Library with your project or event, contact your librarian. Open shelving as well as glassed in cases for displaying specimens or other materials that may require protection are available.
Select materials available for sale in the Institute Publications office are on display near the library entrance.
- University Library materials can be put on reserve in the Institute Library for classes, discussion groups or other activities.
- Contact your librarian to arrange to place items on reserve.
The Prairie Research Institute Library is a loan location for the Department of Natural Resources "Resources Trunks" for educators, and also for the "Naturally Illinois Science Box." Browse our trunks and check availability here.
University Library Services
Off-campus Access to Online Resources
- For access to licensed online library resources (e.g., journals, e-books, abstracting and indexing databases) from home or other off-campus locations, you must log in with your NetID and Active Directory password via the University Library's Proxy Server.
- Library links to online resources will allow you to authenticate via the proxy server.
- Institute staff are encouraged to report problems with online access, whether on or off campus, to the University Library's Electronic Resource Management Team email@example.com
- Borrow books not available at UI or I-Share.
- Request copies of articles the University Library does not own.
- Free, usually less than 1 week turnaround. NetID/password required.
A fee based photocopy service for materials owned by the University Library.