Library Quick Guide
Librarian: Beth Wohlgemuth, 244-4907 email@example.com
1027 Forbes Natural History Building,
1816 S. Oak St. MC-652
Illinois Natural History Survey Library Resources Website
Prairie Research Institute Library, 217-333-6892
Identification for Library Users:
I-Card: Required to check out materials at the University library and I-Share libraries
Borrower ID: On I-Card, begins with 2011... Required for requesting from the University library and I-Share Catalogs.
Active Directory: If you are off campus you will be able to access licensed resources with your NetID and Active Directory password. Not sure what your Active Directory Password is? Click here for more info.
NetID and Password: Required for Interlibrary Loan requests. Click here for more information about NetIDs.
Manage your passwords
CITES offers password reset options and help
NESSIE: For best results, be sure e-mail, phone and campus mail address are up to date in NESSIE.
Courtesy Borrowing Cards
Illinois residents not affiliated with the University of Illinois are eligible to borrow University Library materials, including materials in the Institute Library, with this card.
Online Catalogs (finding books and journals)
University Library Easy Search
The University Library's interface for quickly finding books, journals, articles, e-resources, references and web pages. It searches a broad selection of sources and has links to the Library's primary online resources and services. To find more biological sciences resources choose “Life Sciences Articles” on the left hand side.
University Library Catalog
- Find books, magazines/journals, media, and other materials that the University owns. Request items from any University library to be brought to the Prairie Research Institute library, formally known as the Illinois Natural History Survey Library or other University library locations for pickup. There are 2 different interfaces for the online catalog. The newer interface is called VuFind and the older one Classic. Go to the library orientation libguide for a list of advantages and disadvantages for each interface. It is recommended you use both to maximize your searching experience. To fully utilize the VuFind catalog please create an account.
- I-Share Catalog
Search and request items from 76 academic libraries in Illinois. Items may be picked up at any I-Share location! The VuFind interface is used for the I-Share Catalog.
See "Tips for Using the VuFind Catalog".
- WorldCat Database includes books from libraries everywhere, which you can request via Interlibrary Loan. Go to the Library Orientation Libguide for more information about WorldCat.
Literature Indexes (find articles and other literature on your topic).
- Appears in most databases, including BIOSIS, Web of Science, and Zoological Record.
- Locates online full text available to University patrons.
- Locates title match in the University library Online Catalog for print (paper) version. (You must check holdings to verify needed volume/issue are there.)
- Additional services: Google Scholar (checks for free web content), Interlibrary Loan request form if item not available online or in print.
- Borrow books not available in University library or I-Share libraries and obtain photocopies of articles the University library does not own.
- Services are free and usually fast 1-2 weeks. Current University NetID and password are required.
- Automated Searches: Help is available for setting up automated searches in your favorite citation databases go to the new Table of Contents Alerts LibGuide. http://uiuc.libguides.com/alerts. This will help you to set up email alerts and enable you to keep current with the literature. Or go to the Literature Databases page and click on the yellow “TOC” to be linked to directions for setting up alerts. Contact Beth Wohlgemuth (firstname.lastname@example.org, 244-4907) for further assistance.
- Equipment Loans: We loan audio-visual equipment to Illinois Natural History Survey staff. Please enter your reservations using the online reservation system. A NetID and password is required. For reservations, use the online form or email or call (INHS librarian, 244-4907).
- New Books - View the new books added to the collection in the past 60 days.
- Librarians: We are here to help with all your library needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us with your questions, purchase requests, or any other library matter!
- For more information about library services for Illinois Natural History Survey Library staff, see the library services page.
Special Resources for Illinois Natural History Survey staff
- Savvy researcher Series offers a wide selection of classes on various library resources and tools each semester.
- User Education/Training: We are happy to provide one-on-one or group training on library resources and services. Email, call, or stop by the library for assistance (INHS librarian, 244-4907).