Assistant Reference Librarian
Acting Library and Information Science Librarian for Collections
300 Main Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
- 2001-2002: Visiting Reference Librarians, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2000-2001: Freelance Librarian, Primary client: Accelerated Solutions Environment, Cap Gemini,
Ernst & Young.
- 1999-2000: Project Leader/Reference Librarian for the Undergrad Commons, Iowa State University
- 1999 - Master's of Library and Information Science: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
- 1993 - Bachelor's of Arts, Religious Studies: Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA.
Awards and Distinctions
- Participant in a two-week leadership institute and year-long practicum organized by the Council
on Library and Information Resources and EDUCAUSE, Frye Institute, (2006).
- Best Proposal in the Basic Course Division, National Communication Association, (2000).
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "
Assessment: why now?
Informed Librarian Online, (June 2007).
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "Get to know your gadget guy or gal."
Reference and User Services Quarterly, 46/2 (2006): 12-15.
- Ward, David and M. Kathleen Kern. "Combining IM and vendor-based chat: A report from the
frontlines of an integrated service."
Libraries and the Academy, 6/4 (2006): 417-429.
- Radford, Marie and M. Kathleen Kern. "A multiple-case study investigation of the
Discontinuation of nine chat reference services."
Journal of Information and Library Research, 28/4 (2006): 521-547.
- Kern M. Kathleen. "Looking at the bigger picture: An integrated approach to evaluation of chat
The Reference Librarian 46/95-96 (2006): 99-112.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and Cherie Weible. "Reference as an access service: Collaboration between
reference and interlibrary loan departments."
Journal of Access Services, 3/1 (2006): 17-35.
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "Chat it up! Extending reference services to off-campus students."
Journal of Library Administration, 41/1-2 (2005).
- Glace, John, M. Kathleen Kern, et al. "Guidelines for implementing and maintaining virtual
reference services. (RUSA Guidelines."
Reference & User Services Quarterly, 44/1 (2004): 9-14.
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "Have(n't) we been here before? Lessons from telephone reference."
The Reference Librarian, 41/85 (2004): 1-17.
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "Ad*Access: Viewing history through the lens of advertising."
Journal of Library and Information Services in Distance Learning, 1/4 (2004): 76-78.
- Kern, M. Kathleen. "Communication, patron satisfaction and the reference interview" in
"Connecting in person and in cyberspace: Presentations and responses from the RUSA President's
Program, 2002 ALA Annual Conference, Atlanta, June 17, 2002."
Reference and User Services Quarterly 43/1 (2003): 47-39.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, (under contract with manuscript due September 2007).
Virtual reference success: Making decisions that fit your library, ALA Editions.
- Woodard, Beth S. and M. Kathleen Kern, (forthcoming 2008). "The reference interview." in
Reference and Information Services: An Introduction.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, 2006. "Virtual reference becoming mainstream service." in
The Bowker Annual Library and Book Trade Almanac 2006, 311-319.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, 2005, "Chat it up! Extending reference services to off-campus students."
The Eleventh Off-Campus Library services Conference Proceedings.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, 2004, "Have(n't) we been here before? Lessons from telephone reference."
Digital vs. Non-Digital Reference: Ask A Librarian Online and Offline.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and Esther Gillie, 2004, "Virtual reference policies: an examination of
current practice in various organizations." in
The Virtual Reference Experience: Integrating Theory into Practice, 165-184.
- Searing, Sue, Susan Swords Steffen and M. Kathleen Kern, "Recruiting academic librarians:
Making graduate jobs more than work."
Association of Research Libraries National Conference, Baltimore: March 31, 2007.
- Radford, Marie and M. Kathleen Kern, "Cyberspace casualties: An inquiry into cases of
discontinued virtual reference services."
VRD 7th Annual Digital Reference Conference: Recognizing the Success of Reference,
Burlingame, CA: November 14-15, 2005.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and Alec Sonsteby, "Disordering knowledge: Reflections on libraries,
technology and the decline of imposed linearity."
Material Cultures and the Creation of Knowledge, Edinburgh, Scotland: July 22-24,
- Radford, Marie and M. Kathleen Kern, "CSI cyberspace: An investigation into the untimely demise
of six virtual reference services."
RUSA-RSS 11th New Reference Research Forum, American Library Association Annual
Conference, Chicago: June 25, 2005.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and David Ward, "Training and management of virtual reference services: How
RUSA standards can help."
VRD 6th Annual Digital reference Conference: Creating a Reference Future, Cincinnati, OH:
November 8-9, 2004.
- Radford, Marie, Lynn Silipigni Connaway, Neal Kaske, and M. Kathleen Kern, "Understanding
virtual users: Connecting research to practice."
Library Research Seminar III, October 14-16, 2004.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "How should we answer? Patron expectations and service policies for virtual
Illinois Library Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL: September 29-31, 2004.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "Finding the shape of virtual reference: Making decisions that fit your
Illinois Library Association Annual Conference Pre-conference Workshop, Chicago, IL:
September 28, 2004.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "Chat it up! Extending reference services to assist off-campus students."
11th Off-campus Library Services Conference, Scottsdale, AZ: May 5-7, 2004.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and Esther Gille, "Virtual reference policies: an examination of current
practice in various organizations."
VRD 5th Annual Digital Reference Conference: Reference Roundup, San Antonio, TX: November
- Weible, Cherie L. and M. Kathleen Kern, "E-collaboration between reference and interlibrary
Third Annual Brick and Click Libraries Symposium: The Shape of Tomorrow, Northwest
Missouri State University, Maryville, MO: October 10, 2003.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "What are they asking? An analysis of questions asked at in-person and
virtual service points."
RUSA-MOUSS 9th Annual Reference Research Forum, ALA Annual Conference , Toronto: June 21,
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "Looking at the bigger picture: An integrated approach to evaluation of chat
RUSA-MARS 2003 Preconference: Digital Reference @ Your Library II, ALA Annual Conference.
Toronto: June 19, 2003.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "Using transcripts for performance review: Tantalizing or terrifying?"
RUSA-MOUSS Performance Issues for Reference Librarians Discussion Group, ALA Annual
Conference, Toronto: 2003.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "This is not your mother's librarianship: Careers in Library and Information
Science." Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA: April 19-20, 2003.
- Kern, M. Kathleen, "The reference interview: Connecting in person and in cyberspace."
RUSA President's Program, ALA Annual Conference: 2002.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and David Ward, "Becoming elastic: Training & staffing models for chat
RUSA-MARS 2002 Preconference: Digital Reference @ Your Library, ALA Annual Conference,
- Slagell, Amy R. and M. Kathleen Kern, "Helping students access web resources: Building
partnerships with university libraries."
National Communication Association Annual Convention: November 10, 2000.
- Kern, M. Kathleen and Jennifer Clayton, "The one, two punch: Scaffolding undergraduate library
ILA/ACRL 2000 Spring Conference, Ames, IA: 2000.
- American Library Association (ALA).
- Reference and User Services Association (RUSA).
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).