Here is a draft of the recommendations for our final report that we discussed at
our meeting on 5/7.
- The position vacated by David Griffiths' departure should stay in the new unit.
- The establishment of models for coordination of efforts between the Scholarly Commons and
Central Reference & Government Information Unit.
- A retreat for members of the new unit to draft a new mission statement and statement
of shared values.
- Funding be allocated for marketing the new unit this summer.
- Staff support should be provided for the Government Information Services Coordinator
- Promotion of Kevin McLaughlin to an AP position in CAM.
- The appointment of an interim unit head for 1 year to oversee the transition followed by a
national search for a permanent unit head with experience in a combined reference and
government information services library if possible.
- Keeping student budgets separate for the first year as the unit works to establish a new
- The Coordinate be the fund manager for government information.
- A limited evaluation of the unit after six months followed by a more detailed
evaluation after one year.
- Physical proximity of offices if possible. If not, other efforts be undertaken to
facilitate communication, team building and training.