Biology Library Awarded Grant
Jul 6, 2010
The Biology Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has been awarded a competitive 2009 collection enhancement grant from the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI) in partnership with three other state libraries: Chicago State University Library, Columbia College Chicago Library, and Northern Illinois University - Founders Memorial Library. The grant application theme was “Impact of the Environment in Health & Wellness.” The Biology Library at Illinois will use grant funds to support education and research in the subject area, "Medicinal Plants and Indigenous Medicinal Plant Knowledge: Implications for Human Health."
Indigenous peoples around the world have a wealth of knowledge built over the millennia about medicinal plant knowledge in their local ecosystems that is endangered by environmental and developmental pressures. This knowledge is important to collect and archive for current and future biomedical research relating to antioxidant activity, bioactive properties, metabolic fate, and other aspects of phytochemicals on human health and wellness.
Titles selected for the CARLI grant are about medicinal plants, ethnobotanic medicine, and related areas, and include botanical details and/or medicinal purpose as described by indigenous peoples or noted from research. A majority of these books are from Africa, Central Asia, China, Eurasia, India, and South America in English and non-English languages.
Selected titles have either no or very few circulating copies in the state of Illinois. Several titles were listed in WorldCat at only a few institutions in the country or world.
Below is a list of the titles that have been purchased with grant funds. Please contact Diane Schmidt, Head, Biology Library at email@example.com for more information.
- African traditional medicine: a dictionary of plant use and applications with supplement : search system for diseases / Hans Dieter Neuwinger
- Commercialising medicinal plants: a Southern African guide / Nicci Diederichs
- Drugs of natural origin: a textbook of pharmacognosy, 5th ed./ Gunnar Samuelsson
- Encyclopedia of Himalayan medicinal flora, v. 1 / I C Sancheti; S K Basu
- Endemic medicinal plants of Georgia / James S Miller
- Ethnobotany and medicinal plants of India and Nepal / V Singh; A P Jain
- Ethnobotany of Jalgaon District, Maharashtra / Shubhangi Pawar; D A Patil
- Ethnobotany of Rajasthan, India / V Singh; R P Pandey
- Ethnobotany of the Kanis / M B Viswanathan; E Harrison Prem Kumar; N Ramesh
- Ethnobotany of the Waimiri Atroari Indians of Brazil / William Milliken
- Ethnomedicine and pharmacognosy / V K Singh; J N Govil; Gurdip Singh.
- Fitomedicina: 1100 plantas medicinales / Teodoro Agapito F; Isabel Sung
- Handbook of ayurvedic medicinal plants / L D Kapoor
- Hand-book of Indian medicinal plants / M C Joshi
- Herbal and medicinal plants of India / K Bhatt; Aparna Raj; Kiran Bhatt
- Iboga: the visionary root of African shamanism / Vincent Ravalec
- Identification of medicinal plants: a handbook of the morphology of botanicals in commerce / Wendy Applequist; Barbara Alongi; Mark Blumenthal; Steven Foster
- Importancia de la conservación in situ de la diversidad y variabilidad de las plantas nativas cultivadas y sus parientes silvestres y culturales en la región Andino-Amazonica del Perú / Julio Valladolid Rivera
- Indigenous herbal medicines: tribal formulations and traditional herbal / Deepak Acharya; Anshu Shrivastava
- Introduction to medicinal plants / Ashwini Dutt
- La médecine africaine : une efficacité étonnante : témoignage d'une pionnère / Yvette Parès
- Medicinal and aromatic plants used in Nepal,Tibet, and Trans-Himalayan Region / Kamal Krishna Joshi; Sanu Devi Joshi
- Medicinal and magical plants of southern Africa : An annotated checklist / T H Arnold
- Medicinal and poisonous plants 3 / R H M J Lemmens; N Bunyapraphatsara
- Medicinal plants of Asian origin and culture / Usha R Palaniswamy
- Medicinal plants of India: a guide to ayurvedic and ethnomedicinal uses of plants / Dinesh Jadhav
- Medicinal plants of South Africa
- Medicinal plants of Southeast Asia / Christophe Wiart
- Natural medicines comprehensive database, 10th ed 2007
- Natural products: drug discovery and therapeutic medicine / Lixin Zhang, Ph. D.; A L Demain
- People's plants: a guide to useful plants of southern Africa / Ben-Erik Van Wyk; Nigel Gericke
- Plantas útiles de Sololá / Ana Lucrecia MacVean
- Regulatory roadmap for herbal medicines / G Sudesh Kumar
- Uit die veldapteek (2nd ed) Translation = Out of the veldapteek / Betsie Rood
- Useful Indian herbs: an ethnobotanical handbook / Sudha Prakash
- Zhongguo yao yong zhi wu bing chong tu pu = Atlas of diseases and pests of medicinal plants of China / Sudha Prakash
Do you have a story you'd like added to the Library News & Events? If so, please contact
Heather Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org).