About the Collections
The Special Collections area of the Music and Performing Arts Library at the University of Illinois (MPALSC) is home to a unique collection of scores, rare books, recordings, pedagogical materials, and other archival materials. Students, faculty, and researchers world wide have used these collections.
Piano Roll – Dvorak’s New World Symphony
News & Events
The Sousa Archive and Center for American Music has launched an online collection of WWI sheet music. The James Edward Myers World War I Sheet Music Collection is part of the James Edward Myers Sheet Music Collection, housed in the Sousa Archives and Center for American Music. Additional information about the Myers Collection is available through the collection’s finding aid.
The print collections in the MPALSC consist of unique and rare scores, historical encyclopedias and periodicals, books on music theory, performance pedagogy, and many other resources.
- Alphabetical Index of All Collections
- Subject Index of All Collections
- Historic US Sheet Music collection description and catalog
The Music and Performing Arts Library is actively seeking to improve access and preservation of music materials through its digitization program. Some brittle paper materials have been digitized through the Libraries’ Brittle Books program. MPAL hopes to continue digitization projects.
- Musical Theater/Light Opera Piano/Vocal Scores (or access through the Internet Archive)
- Civl War Era and Lincoln-Themed Sheet Music, Songsters, and Anthologies
- James Edward Myers Collection of WWI Sheet Music