- Visit the Chemistry Library's website
- See the Chemistry Library on Google Maps
- 505 South Matthews Avenue, Urbana, IL, Noyes Lab, Room 170
- (217) 333-3737
- Email form
The first departmental chemistry library at the University of Illinois in 1891 was created by chemists when they borrowed key chemistry resources from Altgeld Hall Library and storing them in the Balance Room (today Harker Hall). The texts were needed at all hours during experiments and research when the Library wasn’t open. Remodeled and revitalized in 2006 with a gift from the School of Chemical Sciences, the Chemistry Library tradition of excellent collections, services and facilities continues into the next century. The Chemistry Library is expanding to include more group collaborative spaces.
The Chemistry Library serves researchers, practitioners, scholars and students in chemistry, chemical and biomolecular engineering, and biochemistry. Its digital and print collections are among the best in the country. Electronic access is available to thousands of chemistry and chemistry-related serials, hundreds of book series, major indexing and abstracting databases including SciFinder Scholar and major chemistry-related reference works.