When you know what you want
When you don't know what you want
Using the online library catalog
Library search tools FAQ
Improve your searching
Working with specific collections
Report a problem
If you have a citation, this page will help you learn how to use library tools to access a variety of library resources.
If you still cannot locate what you need, please Ask a Librarian.
- The University Library online catalog is the place to find books in all disciplines, across all of our libraries.
- We buy a lot of books, but sometimes we don't own what you're looking for or it's checked out.
- The University Library subscribes to loads of ebooks - this guide will help you find them as well as use them.
- There are several ways to do determine whether or not the library has access to print versions of articles or journals.
- When you know what you are looking for and have all or part of a citation. The CitationLinker is a tool that allows you to search for a specific journal article.
- How to find the journal or database you need.
- Sometimes we don't own the article you need; here's how to request it through Interlibrary Loan.
- Learn how to search for course reserves by class or by the name of your instructor.
- The Library has a variety of multimedia resources including DVDs, music scores, sound recordings, 3D objects, and much more!
- Notoriously difficult to find, this guide will give step-by-step instructions for finding conference proceedings in all disciplines.
- A guide to help you find dissertations and master's theses from Illinois, the U.S., and internationally.
- The information produced by the government is vast in terms scope (it is hard to find a subject the government does not publish on) and breadth (the government has been publishing research, statistics, reports since its inception).
- Find articles in encyclopedias, dictionaries, and reference books on topics including art, biography, country information, literature, music, psychology, and much more.
- The University Library has many unique collections. Let us introduce you to our incunabula, archival papers, rare books, manuscripts, and much more!