CMS Upgrade Completed
May 21, 2008
By J. Weible
The Library's production CMS system was upgraded today, with no major problems.
The improvements and changes that will be of widest interest include:
- When you are creating links to other CMS pages, the file browser now works correctly!
reported previously the image
gallery is disabled in favor of a file browser that limits to only images.
- The new "Employee Bio" structured document type & template (a collaboration with Barry
- The Faculty and AP employee bios that were built on CMS-devel have been imported.
- Multiple simpler "modes" for the TinyMCE editor depending on what sort of content is being
edited. (we currently only use this feature in the employee bios editor.)
- We've redesigned how we launch and serve TinyMCE to improve the speed of the editor.
- The incredibly annoying "disappearing-spaces-after-using-backspace-key" bug in TinyMCE is
- There's now a full-screen mode toggle when editing content in the TinyMCE editor -- very useful
for longer pages.
- There are numerous fixes for issues with file locking, and it's easier for us (ISD staff) to
force locks to release if needed.
- The notification popup that appears after you publish file(s) can now be switched off in the
- Our new custom XML content processor was installed and enabled. This allows us to correct
invalid markup in targeted cases to address problem areas caused by limitations of TinyMCE and by
user behavior. This will let us achieve 100% validity and accessibility on an even greater
percentage of pages.
- We can now grant WTCC personnel the "Account Manager" role so they can promote users'
permissions within the CMS.
- Numerous security fixes.
The detailed release notes (feature changes and bug fixes) for the products can be found here,
in case you want to see what the differences are: