Lync is the voice component of the Unified Communications (UC) environment. Lync replaces conventional landline phone service on campus. CITES activated Lync accounts for individual employees on February 13. CITES has also activated unit phone accounts for Library service desks and offices.
Personal Lync accounts for individual employees
- each employee (except undergraduate student employees) has a personal Lync-enabled account;
- each staff workstation has (or soon will have) Lync software installed: if your workstation has been upgraded to Windows 7/Lync by Library IT, you can use Lync now. Otherwise you can begin to use Lync as soon as Library IT has upgraded the staff computers in your unit;
- each employee has a Lync-compatible phone device that connects to a USB port on a staff computer.
Lync unit phone accounts in the Library
- each Library unit has one or more Lync accounts for the unit itself;
- phone devices for unit accounts plug directly into data jacks and do not need to be connected to a computer;
- unit phones can be used by anyone working in the unit, even undergrad student employees who do not have Lync accounts.
E911 service is available for all Lync users. See links under "Using Lync" below for more information.
Quick Start Guides