Edward B. Warner, after engaging in business in Prophetstown, a village in Whiteside County, Illinois, became Treasurer of the county, serving from 1858 to 1869. During that period, he brought order to the county's finances. Through his influence, taxes were levied to pay for the relocation of the county seat to the town of Morrison (to which he moved) and to retire the bonds issued for Civil War enlistment bounties, payments to soldiers' families, and other war-time expenses.
This collection includes tax receipts, bids for the county court house, and numerous other business papers. In 1872 and again in 1876, Warner was elected to the State Board of Equalization.
The collection also contains family and political corespondence, including a number of letters from Isaac N. Arnold, Thomas G. Bryant, H. C. Burchard, S. H. McCrea, A. J. Mattson, S. H. Robinson, George R. Shaw, A. J. Warner, and Elihu B. Washburne.