During the early 1840s, Norris Hays was a member of the Rock Springs, Ill., Baptist Church. Under the leadership of John Mason Peck, the church set high moral and ethical standards for its members. After Hays moved to Fayette County by departing on a Sunday, the church was incensed and refused to transfer his membership to a new parish. In this letter of April 12, 1844, Hays begs the church to reconsider its position.
The original letter, of which the Library has a photocopy, is in the St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of Missouri, St. Louis.