Methodist Society Cemetery Association, Moro, Ill. Collection, 1852-1978 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
In 1852, several residents of Moro, Ill., established the Methodist Society Cemetery Association. The association, concerned with the cemetery's upkeep, survived until the 1970s, when the State of Illinois officially declared the cemetery a Religious Cemetery, exempting it from further care under the Cemetery Care Act.
This collection includes photocopies of the society's 1852 constitution, a list of early burials with a map, statements of receipts and disbursements, and minutes of the association's trustees meetings, from the 1880s to the mid-twentieth century. The collection also contains correspondence between Lee Sutton, an association member, and August Cooper, the organization's president during the 1960s and 1970s. Several photocopies of documents relating to the cemetery's final legal status are also part of the collection.
Reid Sutton of East Alton, Ill., Lee Sutton's father, donated the photocopies to the Library in 1978.