Reference and Research Resources
- Library Databases
- Open Access Databases
- Online Reference Resources
- Print Reference Resources
- Resources Outside Illinois
- Which catalog should I use?
- Search Classic Catalog (Voyager)
- Search VuFind Catalog
- Search I-Share Catalog (Interlibrary loan)
- Search WorldCat (OCLC)
- jump to Online Bibliographies
- jump to Country Profiles
- jump to LibGuides: UIUC & Elsewhere
- jump to Online Encyclopedias & Handbooks for Latin America & the Caribbean
- jump to Visual Resources
- jump to General Reference Online
LANIC’s editorially reviewed directories contain over 10,000 unique URLs, one of the largest guides for Latin American content
on the Internet.
Latin American Newsletters (LatinNews) was founded in London in 1967 to provide expert political, economic, and security
analysis on Latin America and the Caribbean. For 45 years, it has been acknowledged as the foremost authority on the region.
Foundation’s site contains a wealth of bibliographic information on a variety pre-Colombian topics, especially Mesoamerican
language and writing. Also a directory of links to other pre-Columbian resources.
Comprehensive database of works of Spanish literature published since 1980, including books, periodical articles, book reviews,
bibliographies and conference proceedings.
Compiled by Thomas Weissinger and Nelly Sfeir v. de González at the of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Selective annotated bibliography of scholarly monographs, journal articles, conference papers, book chapters, and electronic
resources dealing with Latin America. Edited by the Hispanic Division of the Library of Congress, provides annotations for
over 5000 works per year.
Compiled by the staff of the MLA Office of Bibliographic Information Services, provides a subject index for books and articles
published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics.
A bibliography hosted by RefWorks and published as part of a long term research project at California State University at
Developed cooperatively with scholars and librarians worldwide, Oxford Bibliographies offers exclusive, authoritative research
guides. Combining the best features of an annotated bibliography and a high-level encyclopedia, this cutting-edge resource
guides researchers to the best available scholarship across a wide variety of subjects.
Compiled by the Government Documents Interest Group of the American Library Association (GODORT), this includes links to
U.S. government resources, government websites of Latin American and Caribbean countries, data and statistical resources
from Latin American and Caribbean government resources, and resources from pertinent inter- and non-governmental organizations.
Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and
transnational issues for 267 world entities, maps of the major world regions, as well as Flags of the World, a Physical Map
of the World, a Political Map of the World, a World Oceans map, and a Standard Time Zones of the World map.
Presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security
systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
Online version of the Europa World Year Book and the nine-volume Europa Regional Surveys of the World series. First published
in 1926, the year book is renowned as one of the world’s leading reference works, covering political and economic information
in more than 250 countries and territories.
Database of country profiles and publications from the research group of the Atlantic magazine.
Latin American & Caribbean LibGuides: UIUC & Elsewhere
- University of Illinois Library
- Harvard Library
- New Mexico State University Library
- Oxford University Bodleian Library
- Princeton University Library
- University of Texas Libraries
- Yale University Library
Online Encyclopedias & Handbooks for Latin America & the Caribbean
- Encyclopedia of Latin America: Dealing with the Life, Achievement, and National development of the Countries of South and Central America, Mexico and Panama, the West Indies,…
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture
- Encyclopedia of Latin American Theater
- Encyclopedia of U.S.-Latin American Relations
- Gran Enciclopedia de España Online
- Britain and the Americas: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia
- France and the Americas: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia
- Germany and the Americas: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia
- Iberia and the Americas: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia
- Ireland and the Americas: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Meso-American Culture
- Dictionary of Latin American Cultural Studies
A unique resource featuring materials gathered by Latin Americanist scholars from multiple institutions for use by students
and scholars alike
General Reference Online
- General Reference
- Environmental Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Political Science
- Popular Culture
- Social Sciences
- Women and Gender Studies