University of Illinois Geology Library - CEE 484
Information Resources for UIUC CEE 484
(Instructor: Peter Lenzini)
Information Resources for Determining Local Geologic Conditions
(from surface to 500 feet; thickness, origin and character of the overburden, depth to top of
bedrock, type and age of bedrock, geologic structure, groundwater conditions, etc.
At UIUC: Geology, Engineering, and/or Agricultural; also Main stacks)
online catalogs from state
universities and other libraries. (UIUC Online Catalog)
WorldCat, an online catalog for
State Geological Surveys(Illinois State Geological Survey)
State Water Surveys (search Google) (Illinois State Water Survey)
U.S. Geological Survey
USGS Water Resources (local offices)
Other National Surveys
- Go to the surveys and talk to staff.
- Phone the survey.
- Go to the various web sites & look at survey publication catalogs and other information on
their web sites.
- State surveys may have driller's logs and other records not included in online catalogs or web
Search the various online indexes for literature and maps:
ProQuest Dissertation Abstracts
(many of these can be downloaded at no cost to UIUC patrons)
Look for both maps and literature (geologic maps are in the Geology Library at UIUC; staff are
only available to help with maps from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-Fri).
Use terms such as: engineering geology, bedrock, stratigraphy, structure/structural, surface
deposit(s), Pleistocene deposit(s), Quaternary deposit(s), properties, groundwater/ground water,
Look at a geologic map of the area, determine the formations at the locations and depths of
interest, and search for literature about the formations.
Combine the above search terms with the state and county of the location.
Field Trip Guidebooks from the
area for general geology.
EPA Envirofacts Warehouse
National Library for the Environment (CNIE)
Superfund Query Form
Chemical Scorecard - Environmental Defense Fund
Search for maps:
Geologic Mapping at ISGS
Search Illinois State
Geological Survey Catalog of Publications and Maps (go to the bottom of the page and select
"only maps". Limit by county.
Map examples for Illinois:
Geologic Road Map of Illinois; Surface Deposits and Landscapes: G4101 .C5 2001 .G7
Geologic Map of Illinois: G4100 .c5 1967 .I4
Map of surface deposits of Illinois: G4100 .c5 1960 .T4
Chicagoland: Shaped by Ice and Water, poster by M.J. Chrzastowski, ISGS. Available from ISGS;
on the wall in the UIUC Geology Library.
Literature examples for Illinois:
- Willman, H.B. and Frye, J.C., 1970, Pleistocene stratigraphy of Illinois: Illinois State
Geological Survey Bulletin 94. [Geology 557 IL6B: Geology Stacks (can circulate) and Reference
(Reading Room) non-circ.] Willman, H.B. et al, 1975, Handbook of Illinois stratigraphy: Illinois
State Geological Survey Bulletin 95. [Geology 557 IL6B: Geology Stacks (can circulate) and
Reference (Reading Room) non-circ.]
- Baurer, R.A., et al., 1991, Geotechnical properties of selected Pleistocene, Silurian, and
Ordovician deposits of northeastern Illinois: Champaign, IL, Illinois State Geological Survey, 69
p. [Main stx 550.8 B327x]
- Chrzastowski, M.J., 2005, Chicagoland: Geology and the making of a metropolis: Field excursion
for the 2005 Annual Meeting, Association of American State Geologists, June 15, 2005: ISGS Open
File OFS 2005-9, 64 p. [Geology 557.7311 C469c]
- Leetaru, H. E., Sargent, M.L., and Kolata, D.R., 2004, Geologic atlas of Cook County for
planning purposes: Illinois State Geological Survey Open File 2004-12, 30 p., maps. [Geology
557.731 L4877g and
- Smith, G.D., 1942, Illinois loess: Variations in its properties and distribution; A pedologic
interpretation: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin 490, p.139-184.
[Many copies in various libraries at UIUC 551.354 Sm57l]
- Smith, W.C., 1961, The geology of some Pleistocene deposits and their engineering properties:
Doctoral dissertation. Urbana-Champaign, IL, University of Illinois. [Geology 552.5
- Thornburn, T.H., 1963, Surface deposits of Illinois; A guide for soil engineers: Urbana, IL,
University of Illinois Engineering Experiment Station Circular 80, 135 p. [Geology 631 T393S]
- Thornburn, T.H., and Liu, T.K., 1969, Soils of Illinois and their engineering characteristics:
Twentieth Annual Highway Geology Symposium Proceedings, p. 1-13.
Symposium PDF. [Also see other articles in the same Proceedings]
- Wiggers, R., 1997, Geology Underfoot in Illinois: Missoula, MT, Mountain Press. (In particular,
see p.103.) [Geology 557.73 W639G, 2 copies; also a copy in Main Reference]
These are in the ACES Library at UIUC. Consult your professor regarding how to use these.("soil"
means different things to different disciplines).
Many of the manuscripts are also
online. (Soil Survey Maps Online)
Updated 08/8/08 lej
Created 01/24/05 lej
Converted 01/10 hyk