Beth S. Woodard
Central Information Services Librarian/ Staff Development and Training
Associate Professor of Library Administration
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Fax: (217) 333-2214
Division:Central Public Services / Administration
As Central Information Services Librarian at UIUC
since 1985, provides bibliographic, research, and reference assistance to
library patrons at the reference desk utilizing the reference and government
documents collections; researches complex questions during time not scheduled at
the desk; verifies bibliographic citations using OCLC, RLIN, BRS, Dialog,
Wilsonline, CD-ROM, statewide online catalog and locally-mounted databases, and
print sources; participates in user education programs, including general
library tour programs and specialized instruction for classes; counsels students
with term paper research in cooperation with the Undergraduate Library;
participates in reference collection development.
As Staff Development and Training Coordinator (1/2 time) since 2002,
supervises planning, coordinating, and evaluating the Library's staff
development and training programs, organizes and publicizes programs of interest
to the Library staff, review and make recommendations regarding the creation,
implementation, and ongoing conduct of a New Employee Orientation Program,
chairs the Staff Development and Training Advisory Committee.
Coordinates services provided at the Information Desk,
including hiring (as of 2002, Kathleen Kern has taken over this responsiblity),
supervising, scheduling, training and evaluating 3.5 FTE graduate assistants and .5
FTE Library Technical Assistants; and maintaining equipment and collection.
Previous Academic Positions:
Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor of Library
Administration,Reference Library, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, September 1983-August 1985.
Reference Librarian, Reference Department, Thomas Cooper Library, University
of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, September 1979-December
Graduate Assistant, Reference Department, University Library,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, Summer
Practicum, Undergraduate Library, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, Spring 1979.
Dr. Jerome Miller, Graduate School of Library and Information Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois,
Teaching Assistant, Dr. Harold Hungerford, English
Department, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois, Spring
Discussion Group Facilitator
- Leader for Discussion Topics:, "The application of unobtrusive
testing in evaluating the quality of library service, and the performance of
individual service providers," and "How can the ways in which we ask our users
about services provided make the responses more useful?" at the "Evaluation of
Public Services and Public Services Personnel" Thirty-second Allerton
Institute, October 28-30, 1990. University of Illinois Graduate School of
Library and Information Science and ALA Reference and Adult Services Division.
- Leader for discussion group: "Subject searching in ILLINET Online",
ILLINET Online Reference/Information Forum, Tuesday, December 11, 1990.
- Leader for discussion group: "Training issues for locally-mounted
databases," ILCSO Reference/Information Forum, May 11, 1992
- Conducted hearings for Draft: "Guidelines for Instruction Programs
in Libraries", ALA Midwinter, San Antonio, TX, January 1996
Presentations/Professional or Scholarly Meetings
- "Searching IO in a Reference Setting," ILLINET Online Workshop, January 6,
1988 , Urbana , Illinois .
- "Fancy Stuff: Idiosyncracies of Searching the Online Catalog," Staff
Development Workshop sponsored by the Office of Online Catalog User Education,
April 21, 1988 , Urbana , Illinois .
- "Resource Sharing Through Staff Training," IACRL Fall Conference Program,
"We're All In This Together: Resource Sharing and Networking in Academic
Libraries," November 5, 1992 , Chicago , Illinois .
- "Resource Sharing Through Staff Training," IACRL Fall Conference Program,
"We're All In This Together: Resource Sharing and Networking in Academic
Libraries," November 5, 1992, Chicago, Illinois.
- "Instruction Inservice," Oberlin College Library Reference Work Group,
July 26, 1996
- “Reference Training: Competence or Mastery?" Purdue University Library
Staff Development Seminar, May 6,1999
- "Learning Styles" GSLIS/Library Teaching Alliance , September 28, 2001 .
- “Teaching Portfolios” GSLIS/Library Teaching Alliance , April 30, 2003
& August 13, 2003
- Invited Speaker for University of Toronto Instruction Workshop , November
30, 2001 , 50 people in attendance.
- "Strategies for Providing Public Service with an Online Catalog," April 5,
1987 , Preconference, 24th Annual Clinic on Library Applications of Data
Processing, Urbana , Illinois .
- "Evaluating Reference Performance," in program "Improving Our Batting
Average: Setting Standards and Evaluating Performance in Reference Services."
at Illinois Library Association Annual Conference, April 24, 1987 ,
Springfield , Illinois .
- "Evaluating An Information Desk Using Unobtrusive Methodology" June 26,
1989, RASD Evaluation of Reference and Adult Services Committee Program, "New
Directions in Reference Measurement and Evaluation: Focus on Practitioner
Research." American Library Association Annual Conference, Dallas , Texas .
- "Training Techniques for Reference Managers" June 24, 1989 . RASD
Performance Standards for Reference Information Librarians Discussion Group,
American Library Association Annual Conference, Dallas , Texas .
- "Selecting Training Strategies for the Generalist Providing Documents
Service," July 5, 1996 , ALA Annual Preconference, Demystifying Documents:
Finding Federal Government Information, Sponsored by the GODORT Education
Committee, RASD Business Reference and Services Section, and the ACRL Law and
Political Science Section, New York , New York .
- "Learning Styles," Indiana Library Federation Preconference, April 30,
- “Teaching Portfolios,” ACRL National Conference Workshop, Charlotte , NC ,
April 12, 2003 with Joan Ruelle and Judith Arnold.
- “Training for front-line reference” Monday, June 22, 2003 RUSA President’s
Program, Toronto , Canada , “Front-line Reference.”
- "Instruction Inservice" for Oberlin College Library Reference Work Group,
Thursday, July 25 through Friday, July 26, 1996 . Jessica Grimm, Acting Head
of Reference, Contact Person.
- “Instruction Inservice, ” Tuesday, July 27—Wednesday, July 28 and
Wednesday, November 10—Thursday, November 11, 1999, at Southern Illinois
University at Edwardsville, “Bring in an Expert Grant,” Illinois State
Library, Julie Hansen, Contact Person
- “Instruction Inservice” and “Development of Information Literacy
Competencies,” Monday, August 16, Tuesday, August 31, Friday, September 10,
Friday, September 24, Wednesday, October 27, Wednesday, November 10, and
Wednesday, December 8, 1999, at Eastern Illinois University, Charleston,
Illinois, “Bring in an Expert Grant,” Illinois State Library, Virginia
Baldwin, Contact Person.
- “Instruction Inservice,” for Lincoln Christian University , Leslie
Starasta, Contact Person. Wednesday, May 20, Thursday, May 29, June 3, 2003 .
- Served as intermediary for librarians and faculty at Lincoln Christian
University working on developing information literacy programs for freshmen
composition classes, October 13, November 3, and December 10, 2003 . Contact
- “Instruction Inservice,” University of Chicago . February 19 and 26, 2004.
Jane Ciario, Contact Person.
- “Instruction Inservice,” Columbia College , Chicago , January 27, 2005 .
Susan Augustine, Contact Person
Independent Study Advising
- " Bibliographic Instruction in the Mathematics Library for Graduate
Students and Faculty", Mary Berney, Spring 1993.
- "Designing an Electronic Classroom," Lisa Janicke, Spring 1994
- "Applying the Big 6 Theory of Information Skills," Leslie Ribble Storasta,
Fall 1995- Spring 1996.
- "Developing a Web Tutorial for FirstSearch," Kris Shanton, Fall 1997.
Formal Teaching Experience
- Team-taught with Mary Jane Petrowski at the UIUC Graduate School of
Library and Information Science 450AC Library Use Instruction, Fall 1993. 1/2
unit credit. 18 students enrolled.
- LIS 450AC Library Use Instruction, Fall 1994. 1/2 unit or 1 unit credit.
17 students enrolled.
- Team-taught with Lisa Janicke of Parkland College LIS 450AC Library Use
Instruction, Fall 1995, 1/2 unit or 1 unit credit. 8 students enrolled
- ACRL Institute for Information Literacy, Immersion Program, Invited
Faculty, 1999-2002. Attended regional institute in Plattsburgh , NY 1999;
faculty presenter at regional institute in Kent, Ohio 2000; at regional
institute in Madison, Wisconsin 2001; at national institute in Plattsburgh, NY
2001; at national institute in Colorado Springs, CO, 2002; at national
institute in Kingston, RI 2003; lead faculty 2003 .
- "Guidelines for Instruction Programs in Academic Libraries ." C&RL
News 58: 264- 266 (April 1997). With members of the ACRL IS Guidelines for
Instruction Programs Task Force listed below.
- "Guidelines for Instruction Programs in Academic Libraries: Draft."
C&RL News 56: 767-769 (December 1995). With members of the ACRL IS
Guidelines for Instruction Programs Task Force. Beth S. Woodard, Chair,
Carolyn Dusenbury, Keith Gresham, Frances Jacobson, Poping Lin, and Linda
- "Model Statement of Objectives for Academic Bibliographic Instruction."
C&RL News 48: 256-261 (May 1987). with members of the ACRL BIS Task Force
to Amend the Model Statement of Objectives for Academic Bibliographic
Instruction, Lori Arp, Chair, Barbara Beaton, Joe Boisse, Julie Cizny, David
Ginn, Jan Rice, Roland Person, and Beth S. Woodard. Reprinted In Read This
First: An Owner's Guide to the New Model Statement of Objectives for Academic
Bibliographic Instruction, Chicago ALA , 1991.
- "Information Literacy or Bibliographic Instruction: Semantics or
Philosophy?" BIS Newsletter 6(2): 8 (Fall 1989).
- IS Newsletter Winter 2000, Winter 2001, Spring 2002, columns from
vice-chair soliciting volunteers, and from chair
- "ERIC Microforms Reviews" Microform Review 13(3): 183-188 (Summer 1984).
- Arp, Lori and Beth S. Woodard, “Recent Trends in Information Literacy and
Instruction,” in Information Literacy and Instruction column of Reference and
User Services Quarterly 42 (2) (Winter 2002): 124-132. Cited as LIRT “Top
Twenty” for 2003. (Invited)
- Woodard, Beth S. “One-on-One Instruction: From the Reference Desk to
Online Chat,” Reference and User Services Quarterly 44(2) (Spring 2005):
- + ”The American South: A Historical Bibliography, 1986 ,"
Research Strategies 4(4): 203-204 (Fall 1986).
- + MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 2d Edition"
Research Strategies 3(4): 200-201 (Fall 1985).
- + The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives: The
1960s . Ed. By William L. O’Neill. Thematic Series. New York : Scribner,
2003. Reference & User Services Quarterly 43(1): Fall 2003, p.
- * "Technology and the Constructivist Learning Environment: implications
for teaching information literacy skills," Research Strategies19
(3/4): 181-192 (2003)(Published in 2005).
- + Woodard, Beth S. and Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, "Technology and Innovation
in Library Instruction Management." In Journal of Library Administration
36(1/2): 39-55 (2002). Simultaneously published as Information Literacy
Programs; Successes and Challenges (ed: Patricia Durisin) The Haworth
Information Press, 2002, pp. 39-55.
- * "A Selective Guide to Training Literature for the Reference
Librarian/Trainer." Reference Services Review 17 (2):41-51 (Summer
- * "The Effectiveness of an Information Desk Staffed by Graduate Students
and Nonprofessionals: A Case Study Using Unobtrusive Methodology." College
and Research Libraries 50(4): 455-467 (July 1989).
- + Woodard, Beth S. and Sharon J. Van Der Laan. "Training Preprofessionals
for Reference Service." Reference Librarian 16: 233-254 (Winter
1986/1987) Reprinted in Reference Services Today: From Interview to Burnout ,
edited by Bill Katz and Ruth A. Fraley. New York : Haworth Press, 1987.
- + "Strategies for Providing Public Service with An Online Catalog." in
Questions and Answers: Strategies for Using the Electronic Reference
Collection (Papers presented at the 24th Annual Clinic on Library Applications
of Data Processing, 5-7 April 1987), edited by Linda C. Smith, p. 132-143.
Urbana-Champaign: University of Illinois , Graduate School of Library and
Information Science, 1990.
- + * Woodard, Beth S. and Gary A. Golden. "The Effect of the Online
Catalogue on Reference: Uses, Services, Personnel" Information Technology
and Libraries 4(4): 338-345 (December 1985).
Chapters in Books
- + Hinchliffe, Lisa Janicke and Beth S. Woodard, "Instruction, " In
Reference and Information Services: An Introduction . 3rd ed. edited
by Richard Bopp and Linda Smith, Libraries Unlimited, 2001, p. 177-209.
- + "Reference Service Improvement: Staff Orientation, Training, and
Continuing Education", in Richard Bopp and Linda C. Smith, editors.
Reference and Information Services: An Introduction 3rd
edition.Littleton, Colorado : Libraries Unlimited, 2001, p. 210-244. +
"Reference Orientation, Training, and Continuing Education", in Richard Bopp
and Linda C. Smith, editors. Reference and Information Services: An
Introduction 2d edition. Littleton , Colorado : Libraries Unlimited,
1995, p. 185-206.
- + "Reference Training," in Reference Assessment Manual edited by
Jo Bell Whitlach. Ann Arbor , Michigan : Pierian Press, 1995, p. 67-75. Also
contributed to summaries of evaluative instruments and annotated
- + "Reference Staff Development: Orientation, Training, and Continuing
Education," in Richard E. Bopp and Linda C. Smith, editors. Reference and
Information Services: An Introduction. Littleton , Colorado : Libraries
Unlimited, 1991, p. 151-170.
Research Strategies Editorial Board, 2001-
Co-editor, with Lori Arp, “Information Literacy and Instruction Column” in
Reference and User Services Quarterly, Fall 2002-
Special issue of Illinois Libraries, January 1991, on Reference
- Dusenbury, Carolyn, Monica Fusich, Kathleen Kenny, and Beth S. Woodard,
editors. Read This First: An Owner's Guide to the New Model Statement of
Objectives for Academic Bibliographic Instruction Chicago: ALA, ACRL,
- RUSA Update . July-September issue, 1997, through April-June
Membership in and Service to Professional Organizations
American Library Association, 1979-1980, 1984-Present
- Association of College and Research Libraries, 1984-Present
- Instruction Section, 1984-Present
- Task Force to Amend the Model Statement of Objectives for Academic
Bibliographic Instruction, Intern, 1984-85, Member, 1985-87
- Continuing Education, Member, 1988-90, Chair, 1990-1992
- Appointed Liaison to BIS Education for Bibliographic Instruction
- Access to the Model Statement Task Force, Member, 1989-91
- Secretary, 1992-93, elected.
- Communications Committee, Chair, 1993-94.
- Guidelines for Bibliographic Instruction Task Force, Chair, 1994-95.
- Nominating Committee for 1996 election, member, 1995.
- Nominating Committee for 1998 election, member, 1997.
- Nominating Committee for 1999 election, member, 1998.
- Nominating Committee for 2005 election, chair, 2003-2004.
- Think Tank III, member, 1997-1999
- Vice-Chair/Chair Elect, 2000-2001.
- Chair, 2001-2002
- Wrote and received ACRL Initiative Fund grant for WebCT training at
New Orleans, 2002; obtained funding for new brochure; initiated
discussion on new ILI-L listerv to replace BI-L; worked with LIRT to
plan 25 th anniversary celebration of IS and LIRT, initiated planning
for preconference and conference programs at annual 2002.
- Past-Chair, 2002-2003
- Awards Committee, Miriam Dudley Instruction Librarian Award,
Subcommittee Chair, 2002-2003, instrumental in pursuing increase in the
- InfoLit Website Task Force, Member, 2003-2004.
- Assessment of Information Environment Task Force, Chair, 2004-2005.
- University Libraries, 1984-Present
- Reference and User Services Association, 1984-Present
- Catalog Use Committee, Intern, 1988-89.
- Facts on File Current Affairs Grant Committee, Member, 1989-90.
- Evaluation of Reference and Adult Services Committee, Member,
- Machine-Assisted Reference Section, 1984-Present.
- Management and Operation of Public Services Section, 1992-Present
- Evaluation of Reference and Adult Services Committee, Chair, 1992-93,
- MOPSS Nominating Committee, 1993-94 .
- RUSA Board Member, 1994-97, elected.
- RUSA President's Program Planning Committee, 1996-1997.
- RUSA President's 1997 Program Planning Committee, member,1996-1997.
- RUSA, Panel Study, 1994-1997.
- Participated in a series of surveys.
- Nominating Committee for 2000 Election, Chair, 1998-1999
- RUSA Publications Committee, ex-officio, 1997-2001.
- RUSA Update, editor designate, February - July 1997, editor
July 1997 - July 1999, July 1999 - July 2001
- RUSA Delegate to the ALA Congress on Professional Education, April
30-May 1, 1999
- Continuing Library Education Round Table, 1995-.
- Library Instruction Round Table, 1995-.
Search Committees, University of Illinois Library
- Reference Library Head, 1985
- Reference Library Head, 1985-86 (Reopened)
- User Education Coordinator, 1987.
- Visiting Assistant Reference Librarian, 1988
- Documents Librarian/Federal Technology Specialist, 1991
- Undergraduate Library Head, 1993-1994.
- Visiting Undergraduate Library Bibliographic Instruction Coordinator,
- Japanese Studies Librarian, 1995.
- Undergraduate Librarians, 1999.
- Commerce Librarian, 1999-2000.
- Reference Librarians, 2001-2002.
- Reference Librarian, 2002-2003, Chair. Cancelled due to budget cuts.
- Visiting Committee for Untenured Faculty Members:
Nakura, Japanese Studies Librarian, 1992-94.
- Leslie Troutman, Assistant Music Librarian, 1995.
- Lori Foulke, Assistant Undergraduate Librarian, 1996-1997.
- Angela Thomas, Assistant Librarian, IRRC, 1997-1999.
- Mary Laskowski, Assistant Undergraduate Librarian, 1999-2004.
- Dana Wright, Undergraduate Library Multicultural Librarian, 2002-2005.
- Susan Avery, Undergraduate Library Instruction Coordinator, 2004-.
Central Public Services Advisory Committee, 1995-1997, 1997-1999,
University of Illinois Library-Wide Committees.
Illinois Library Computer Systems Organization (ILCSO)
- User Education Committee, 1989-1992.
- Public Services Forum Planning Committee, Secretary, 1992-93.
- Location Filtering Team, 1997.
- DRA Principal Trainer, 1997.
- Attended week-long training session; helped design one-day workshops for
secondary trainers across the state; served as group leader.
- Systems Assessment Task Force, 1999-2000; 2000-2001
- Member of a short-term task force to assess the viability of TAOS
implementation by Fall 2001; examination of other existing systems.
- Member of reconstituted task force charge to write RFP, prepare
evaluation criteria, and participate in evaluation of proposals.
- Voyager Implementation Steering Committee Training Task Force, 2001-2002,
Campus Educational Technologies Board, 2000-2005
- Classroom Subcommittee, 2000-2003
- Plagiarism Subcommittee, chair, 2003-2005.
Provost's Committee on Retention, 2002-2005
Honors, Awards, Honorary Fraternities
- University of Illinois Library Faculty and Staff Individual Award, 2002.
- University of Illinois Library Faculty and Staff Group Award, 2002, for
work on the ILCSO VISCom Task Forces
- University of Illinois Library Faculty and Staff Group Award, 2001, for
work on the ILCSO Systems Assessment Task Force
- Biographee, Who’s Who in the World, 18 th ed, 2001; 17 th ed, 2000
- Who’s Who of American Women, 24 th ed, 2004-2005; 23 rd ed, 2002-2003; 22
nd ed, 2000-2001.
- Who’s Who in America, 59 th ed, 2005; 58 th ed, 2004; 57 th ed., 2003; 56
th ed., 2002; 55 th ed, 2001; 54 th ed, 2000
- Who’s Who in Business and Finance, 34 th ed, 2004.
- ALA RUSA Isadore Gilbert Mudge--R.R. Bowker Award, 1998
- University of Illinois Library Research and Publications Committee,
graduate research assistant, Spring 1987, Fall 1989
- University of Illinois Scholars Travel Award , Grants to present paper,
Dallas 1989 , New York 1996, Toronto , 2003
- University of Illinois Teaching Advancement Board, Teaching Advancement
Travel Grant, Charolotte, NC, 2003
- Sabbatical leave, September 1, 1990 to March 1, 1991; January 1, 1998 to
July 1, 1998; November 16, 2005 to May 15, 2006
- UIUC Educational Technologies Group, Grant Award, "Use of Network Software
to Improve Library Online Catalog Workshops," December 1994
- Beta Phi Mu, International Library Science Honor Society, 1979-Present
- Graduated Summa cum Laude, 1978
- Illinois Wesleyan Alumni Outstanding Senior Award, English, 1978
- Phi Kappa Phi, Honor Society, 1977-Present
- Egas, Senior Women's Scholastic and Activities Honorary, President,
- Alpha Mu Gamma, Foreign Language Honorary, 1975-76
- Alpha Lambda Delta, Freshmen Women's Scholastic Honorary, Editor, 1974-76
Illinois Wesleyan University, English, B.A., 1978
University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, Library Science, M.S., 1979
Desk Home Page
Reference Graduate Assistant