Help, Hints & Frequently Asked Questions for Using Discover
What does Discover do?
Discover provides direct links from a database citation to the full text of the article (if
available) and other supporting resources.
the Discover overview page.
How do I access Discover?
Many databases to which the library subscribes are Discover-enabled. When you find a record in
one of these databases, click on the Discover button
enabled in your browser in order for the Discover button to work properly.
What service options does Discover provide?
Because Discover is context specific, service options will change from citation to citation.
When available, and as appropriate, Discover services offered will link to one or more of the
Full Text Services:
- direct link to full text of the article in one or more sources
- link to a journal's home page or table of contents that will lead you to the full text of the
- link to one or more databases that you may search for the full text of the article
- automatic search of UIUC'S online catalog, to see if the item is available in print.
- Interlibrary loan request form
- link to RefWorks Direct Export Tool to download the citation
- web search for related information in Google Scholar, with keywords from the citation title
Why is the full text not always available?
If a link to full text is not on the menu, then the Library does not license the electronic full
text for the particular title or that particular issue may not be available. If the full text link
is not shown, be sure to check the online catalog link to see if the journal title is available in
Why is the full text option not available when I know the library has electronic access?
are still adding resources to the Discover services. In the meantime please use the
Online Research Resources
(ORR) database to access
Can I use Discover services from off campus?
Yes. UIUC NetID holders can use the Discover-enabled databases when off-campus. When you first
go to a UIUC-licensed resource from Discover's menu, you will be prompted to log in if
Tell me more about Discover.
the Discover overview page
I need help using Discover.
Help is available from UIUC librarians. Contact your
or use the
I would like to comment on Discover.
this form to send a message
to the appropriate library staff.