add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Bloomington Book Bindery Advertisement
Bloomington Book Bindery Advertisement
Resource Typeimage
TitleBloomington Book Bindery Advertisement
Coverage / Yearc. 1870s
DescriptionThe Bloomington Book Bindery started business in 1854. Books of all kinds were bound in Russia, Calf, Morocco, or Sheep. Russia was a trade name which applied to a shaved cowhide or calfskin which was begetable-tanned with tannins from willow or other barks. Calf paper is colored and embossed, resembles leather and is now used only occasionally for covering books. Morocco generally means goatskin tanned by any vegetable tannin and boarded in the wet condition. It is becoming quite expensive and used rarely nowadays. Sheepskin is a soft leather produced from the skin or woolly sheep. Book binderies have used it for binding books for over 500 years.
InterpretationLike many local businesses in Bloomington, the Book Bindery was located in the downtown area.
Lesson Plans / ThemesHow we learn about communities;
Learning Standards16 History; 13 Science, Technology and Society; 15 Economics; 18 Social Systems;
Author or CreatorMcLean County Historical Society, Bloomington, Ill.; Hartzold, Susan; Matejka, Michael, 1953-
Other ContributorsKoos, Greg, 1949-
LaBounty, Bill
Source'Made in McLean County' exhibit; museum archives
Subject / KeywordsMcLean County, Illinois; Bloomington, Illinois; Book binding; Advertisements
Collection PublisherMcLean County Museum of History
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifiermch0471
CONTENTdm file name312721652002_mch0471.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^