add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fort de Chartres, Illinois
Fort de Chartres, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleFort de Chartres, Illinois
Coverage / Year1753 to Present
DescriptionThe third Fort de Chartres, a limestone structure with four bastions, was built by the French in the Illinois Country in 1753, replacing two earlier wooden structures.
InterpretationThe fort was never involved in any battles. It was turned over to the English by the French in 1763 following the French and Indian wars. The British abandoned the fort in 1773, leaving it to flooding and erosion by the Mississippi River. Fort de Chartres was acquired by the state in 1913. Parts of it have been reconstructed. The limestone powder magazine remains as part of the third fort structure.
Lesson Plans / ThemesFrench in Illinois; Settling in the Midwest
Learning Standards16 History;
Author or CreatorIllinois Heritage Association
Source35mm slide
Subject / KeywordsFrench Colonial District; Military history; Forts & fortifications;
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource IdentifierIHA00060
CONTENTdm file name75.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^