add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Corn Palace at the Bloomington Cornfest
Corn Palace at the Bloomington Cornfest
Resource Typeimage
TitleCorn Palace at the Bloomington Cornfest
Coverage / Year1915
DescriptionA Corn Palace was the center of the 1915 Bloomington Cornfest. This photo was taken at night.
InterpretationThe 1915 Bloomington Cornfest was held from November 1-6 to coincide with the Bloomington Prosperity Week when many stores had sales. The Corn Palace was advertised as "the most prestigious corn palace ever built in central Illinois." The palace was a temporary structure created by rebuilding the exterior of the Coliseum. A timber false front was added to the front of the Coliseum which was covered with decorative swirls and spirals formed by ears of corn. The outside of the palace was lit by a 1, 000 watt Pearless nitrogen lamp and 11 smaller 750 watt lamps.
Lesson Plans / ThemesHow we learn about communities; Communities and Geography; American Communities in History; Celebrations and Festivals
Learning Standards15 Economics; 16 History; 18 Social systems
Author or CreatorMcLean County Historical Society, Bloomington, Ill.
Other ContributorsWalters, William D, Jr., 1942-
Source'The Heart of the Cornbelt: An Illustrated History of Corn Farming in McLean County,' by William D. Walters Jr.; ISBN 0-943788-15-3 (1997)
Subject / KeywordsMcLean County, Illinois; Corn; Festivals; Celebrations; Harvesting
Collection PublisherMcLean County Museum of History
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifiermch0310; IL MCLEAN AGR WAL - Figure 6:3, p. 79
CONTENTdm file name6095523832002_mch0310.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^