add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Planter, Hand
Planter, Hand
Resource Typeimage
TitlePlanter, Hand
Coverage / Year1850 to 1870
Description1. Homemade corn planter, painted blue. No distinguishing marks. Has handle, seed hopper and hand-lever. 2. Wooden planter. Long square body, flat on one side and tapers to a blunt point on the front. Tin panel on the nose. Single handle with a turned grip which raises and lowers to release seed through the nose. Wakefield Patent, Patent Date July 25, 1854.
InterpretationPictured are two corn planters. The one on the left is homemade and is from around 1850. The one on the right was made in a factory and has a patent date of 1854. This type of corn planter was operated by hand. When pressed into the soil, four to seven kernels would drop out. When these planters were used, corn was planted in hills rather than in rows. The hills were spaced about five feet apart so that the farmer could plow around them and keep the weeds from chocking out the corn. Farmers planted more than one seed because they knew that not all the seeds would sprout. An old corn-planting rhyme is "One for the blackbird, and one for the crow, one for the cutworm, and two left to grow".
Lesson Plans / ThemesAmerican Communities in History; Communities and Geography;
Learning Standards16 History; 15 Economics;
Author or CreatorEarly American Museum
Subject / KeywordsFarming; Farmers; Appliances; Corn; Agriculture; Illinois;
Collection PublisherEarly American Museum
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifier1968.001.1677
CONTENTdm file name19.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^