add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
USO Club, southwest corner, Champaign, Illinois
USO Club, southwest corner, Champaign, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleUSO Club, southwest corner, Champaign, Illinois
Coverage / Year1893
DescriptionUSO Club, southwest corner, Randolph and Hill Sts., Champaign.
InterpretationDuring World War II this was a popular USO center for thousands of military personnel stationed at the UI and Chanute Field. It was erected as Champaign High School in 1893, but renamed Central School when a new high school opened on West Green Street in 1914. Its last use was as the local office of the Illinois Bell Telephone Company. After the building was demolished in 1974, the site became a parking lot for Champaign National Bank. The cornerstone remains, incorporated in a bench.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt; World War II
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsChampaign, Illinois; Champaign County, Illinois; Buildings; Education; Military; Recreation
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifieriha00193
CONTENTdm file name92125202682002_Image24.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^