add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Inman Hotel, Champaign, Illinois
Inman Hotel, Champaign, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleInman Hotel, Champaign, Illinois
Coverage / Year1915
Description17 E. University Ave., Champaign. The Inman Hotel was also known as the National Academy of Arts. The architects were Spencer and Temple and the builders were the English Brothers.
InterpretationProprietor George L. Inman formally opened The Inman on March 11, 1915. Built on the site of a livery barn, it was ideally situated in a bustling downtown Champaign, next door to the Illinois Traction Railway Station and a block from the Illinois Central Depot. The hotel closed in 1974 after nearly six decades of operation. From 1975 to 1987 it was the home of the National Academy of the Arts. In 1991 it again became The Inman, a residence for senior citizens. Since 1989, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsChampaign, Illinois; Champaign County, Illinois; Buildings; Hotels; Residence; Senior citizens; National Academy of the Arts
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifieriha00192
CONTENTdm file name6569202682002_Image23.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^