add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
University of Illinois YMCA, Champaign, Illinois
University of Illinois YMCA, Champaign, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleUniversity of Illinois YMCA, Champaign, Illinois
Coverage / Year1910
Description725 S. Wright Street, Champaign.
InterpretationThe University of Illinois Y.M.C.A. was organised February 3, 1873. Rooms were provided for the organization in early buildings such as the "Elephant", 1873-1880; Chemistry Building (Harker Hall), 1880-1993; and University Hall 1883-1889. The YMCA acquired its first real home, a twelve-room dwelling at this location in 1899. The building shown in this 1910 postcard was built in 1908 and served the "Y" until 1917. It was leased in 1918 by the University of Illinois for the School of Miliary Aeronautics. In 1924 it was purchased by the Illinois Union. Later acquired by the University it was renamed Illini Hall. It is now used by the Department of Mathematics.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsChampaign, Illinois; Buildings; Education;
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource IdentifierIHA00184
CONTENTdm file name50057212372002_Image2.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^