add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
University Hospital (McKinley Center), Urbana, Illinois
University Hospital (McKinley Center), Urbana, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleUniversity Hospital (McKinley Center), Urbana, Illinois
Coverage / Year1924
Description1109 S. Lincoln Avenue, Urbana.
InterpretationSenator William B. McKinley's contribution of $205, 000 in 1924 made it possible to construct the central portion of a much-needed University of Illinois campus hospital. Despite objections by horticulture professor J.C. Blair, a site purchased earlier at Third Street and Armory Avenue was replaced by property that required destruction of part of the University of Illinois forestry. The hospital opened in 1926. PWA funds provided for a south wing in 1938-40. University of Illinois health services moved from Wright Street into an addition on the west.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsUrbana, Illinois; Buildings; Education; Hospitals; Health care
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource IdentifierIHA00182
CONTENTdm file name84354212372002_Image18.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^