add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
University of Illinois Law Building (Harker Hall), Urbana, Illinois
University of Illinois Law Building (Harker Hall), Urbana, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleUniversity of Illinois Law Building (Harker Hall), Urbana, Illinois
Coverage / Year1870 to 1900
Description1304 W. Green Street, Urbana. Harker Hall is also known as the Chemical Laboratory. In 1986, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
InterpretationNathan Clifford Ricker designed this building as a chemistry laboratory in 1878. Remodeling, following an 1896 fire that gutted the interior, removed its distinctive top floor. The building housed the College of Law from 1902 to 1926. It was named in 1941 for former law school dean Oliver A. Harker. It also has been used by the Department of Entomology, the School of Life Sciences, and for other classrooms. In 1992, its original mansard roof was recreated and the interior renovated for University of Illinois Foundation offices, which are still housed there.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsUrbana, Illinois; Buildings; Education
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource IdentifierIHA00183
CONTENTdm file name4656212372002_Image19.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^