add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Cunningham Orphanage, Urbana, Illinois
Cunningham Orphanage, Urbana, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleCunningham Orphanage, Urbana, Illinois
Coverage / Year1895
Description1301 N. Cunningham Ave., Urbana.
InterpretationJudge Joseph O. Cunningham and his wife, Mary, gave their large home and fifteen acres to the women of the Urbana Methodist Episcopal Church to be used as an orphanage. It opened in 1895. The old home was torn down in 1940. The facility, now called Cunningham Children's Home, contains several buildings and a recreational complex with a pool. The focus has shifted over time from caring for orphaned infants to a structured program that helps troubled young people learn how to lead productive lives.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsUrbana, Illinois; Champaign County, Illinois; Buildings; Education; Orphanage; Orphans; Children; Childhood & youth;
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifieriha00178
CONTENTdm file name54648212372002_Image13.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^