add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Flat Iron Building, Urbana, Illinois
Flat Iron Building, Urbana, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleFlat Iron Building, Urbana, Illinois
Coverage / Year1948
DescriptionFlat Iron Building, Railroad (Springfield Avenue) and Main Streets, Urbana.
InterpretationThe wedge-shape of this building referred to the once indispensible household implement. The Flat Iron Department Store opened September 4, 1906, occupying the basement and first two floors. The building's architect, Joseph with Royer, had offices on the third floor, as did several attorneys. The Elks club on the fourth floor had a nice view of the temperance statue/fountain outside. The building burned on March 21, 1948.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt;
Learning Standards16 History; 18 Social Systems
SourceChampaign County Historical Archives, The Urbana Free Library (Fires -- Flatiron Building)
Subject / KeywordsBuildings; Urbana, Illinois; Fire; Fire engines & equipment; Fire fighters; Automobiles;
Collection PublisherUIUC Digital Imaging & Media Technology Initiative;
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifierufh4002
CONTENTdm file name935171572002_flatiron2.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^