add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Cattle Bank, Champaign, Illinois
Cattle Bank, Champaign, Illinois
Resource Typeimage
TitleCattle Bank, Champaign, Illinois
Coverage / Year1977
DescriptionCattle Bank, Northeast corner, First Street and University Avenue, Champaign. It is also known as Heimlicher's Drug Store.
InterpretationThe Cattle Bank dates from 1858. Its proposed demolition was forestalled in 1975 by action of the Champaign County Historical Museum and by the Champaign City Council. Purchased by the city of Champaign in 1977, it was later transferred to the private ownership of Leon Jeske and Edward Haas. With assistance from the Preservation and Conservation Association (PACA) of Champaign County and the Illinois State Department of Conservation, the building was restored by the owners for use as retail and office space. It is now the Champaign County Historical Museum. According to the web site of the Museum, this building is believed to be the oldest commercial building in Champaign. More details can be found at http://www.champaignmuseum.org/.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt;
Learning Standards16 History; 18 Social Systems
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association;
Subject / KeywordsBuildings; Champaign, Illinois; Houses;
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association;
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statementhttp://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/conditions.htm
Resource Identifierpmh7002
CONTENTdm file name48441171572002_cattlebank.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^