add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Chicago harbor
Chicago harbor
TitleChicago harbor
CreatorBaker, Chicago
DescriptionFrom text: "In 1833 Congress made the first appropriation of $30, 000 to improve the harbor. The north pier was run out a short distance and a light-house erected. An embankment was made to cut off the river from her old channel, which had previously emptied into the lake near the foot of Madison street. This work was commenced in the summer of 1833, and vigorously pushed forward. In the following spring came a great freshet, which cleaned out the sand from the mouth, and did more work than all the dredges. In successive years additional appropriations were made, amounting in the aggregate to $144, 000. In 1839 the work was suspended, the money having been exhausted."
Date1869
TypePrints
Identifierchicagohandbookf00chic_raw_0032.jp2
Source Pagehttp://www.archive.org/stream/chicagohandbookf00chic#page/32/mode/1up
Link to the Full-Texthttp://hdl.handle.net/10111/UIUCOCA:chicagohandbookf00chic
Physical LocationUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Formatimage/jp2
SubjectHarbors
Coverage-SpatialThe Loop (Chicago, Ill.)
Coverage-Temporal1860-1869
PublisherUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Illinois at Chicago
RightsImages in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact dcc@library.uiuc.edu.
Sub-CollectionBuildings
Waterfronts
Book TitleChicago. A hand book for strangers & tourists to the city of Chicago; containing historical retrospect ... descriptions of the public buildings, churches
CollectionPicture Chicago
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^