Library Web Content Working Group Meeting Agenda for October 21, 2008
Library Web Content Working Group
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
October 21, 2008 3-4 pm
Main Library, Room 428
- Review the Library Web Content Policy:
If no major changes are necessary, then have a vote to forward the policy to CAPT for review.
- New links in library header navigation: Direct link to the catalog? Direct link to Easy Search?
Replaces current Google search with an Easy Search (that includes the current google library.edu
domain limited search result as well)?
- Review new features of Easy Search. Please see the
supporting documentation about
- Review top level gateway issues: adding a rotating banner-style featured item element to the
review 2008 Spring
click-through stats, Including the FDLP logo and information on the library gateway (down in
the footer), like :
- Review the changes to our web site as mandated by the new Illinois Identity Standards Logo
Rules (see emails from Joel Steinfeldt and notes I took from the open meeting they had
- Set a min-width attribute for <body> of web pages site wide in the CMS (CSS div content
overlap issues abound, in particular as it relates to images). Alternatively (less CMS user
friendly) set an overflow:hidden value on some of the content areas- like the right and left
of I Library Google Custom Search to replace google syndicated search?
- Make the header image and alterable element so units can have their own sub-unit heading with a
smaller “University Library” text underneath it.
- Librarian Request: Library Blogs page link on the Library Gateway or second level? Possible
second level suggestions:
- News And Events Page, in the left hand column, as well as including (separate but related)
- Library Friends news (link to their Publications and News
- Campus news http://www.news.uiuc.edu/
- Resources for UG, Grad, Faculty pages (somewhere)?
- University Librarian page about the under Quick Links?
- Library Staff page (This seems a good choice, at the top, or in a sidebar)
- The first page of Google results for a search on: "University of Illinois" library prvoides a
- What about the option of allowing units to change the library header “Contact Us” link to point
to their own “Contact” page? A few units are concerned that because of the generic nature of the
phrase, it might lead users to think they are getting in touch with the unit/library whose page
they are viewing? Alternatively, we could make the contact us page a php page, scan for the
referring URL, and then make the “Contact the XYZ library” the top option, pulled from the “web
contact link” information for that page in the CMS (if it isn’t just the default/generic
- Allow the use of target attribute in href tags? Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it will be
added back in XHTML2, and it was in HTML 4.01 (strict I think)
- Font Styling questions: header size, font choice, etc.