Library Committee Handbook

User Education Committee

July 17, 2000 Meeting

User Education Committee
University of Illinois Library

July 17, 2000

Members Present

No additions to the agenda.

Minutes of June 12, 2000 approved with correction that today's meeting is not in room 428. It is in room 291 Undergraduate Library

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Verification of who is continuing on the committee: Lori DuBois, Sara Reisinger, Lynne Rudasill, Jane Wiles, Chris Quinn, Sue Searing, Elizabeth Clarage, Frances Jacobsen Harris. Thanks to those who are going off.

REVIEW OF ACTION LIST

Sarah R. spoke with Dan Popajohn of OIR about "learning environments" handouts and sessions. Jane W. and possibly Sarah R. will attend selection session on August 16-17.

Web version of ILLINET is up 7/19/00. Handout revisions are due to Lori D. by the end of July.

List of handouts being reviewed:

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

New Faculty Orientation: Illini Union on August 21, 7:30am-1pm Sue, Lynne, Jane, Chris have volunteered so far

Grad Student Orientation: Foellinger on August 25, 3-5:30pm Sue, Sarah volunteered unless others step forward. Poorly attended last year. Hopefully there will be more interest this year

Quad Day: August 22 Jim Cotter is working on getting the library table more centrally located. He will also send a note to LibNews for assistance, dates, times, etc.

DEB GILCHRIST PROGRAM

Improvement on keeping energy level up. Thursday's program should be activity-based.

What is next? Survey the faculty to determine what kind of instruction and outcomes are needed? Points made at Friday's session:

The program was useful in other aspects of our library life. Set up a working network/link to user education and have this in position before the new coordinator is hired.

TOPIC FOR LUNCHEON

User education statistics-How do we collect them? What's in them? How do we relay this information to units (administration -division meetings-departmental libraries)? Statistics vary.

Bart Clark will be invited.

HANDOUTS FOR NEW ILLINET ONLINE WEB INTERFACE

Web interface launches Wed. Sue and Sarah were the only assignees at the meeting.

Handouts

Target date

When Lori returns at the end of July.

ALA REPORTS

Tabled

ACES LIBRARY CLASSROOM

Report by Jane Wiles: Met with architects and designers on Friday July 14. The new classroom is in the upper level of the new building for computers. There is also a round area for a small classroom. Jane said the architects stated concerns should have been voiced earlier.

Deb Gilchrist's suggestion would be computers around the outside of the room with an oval table in the center for project discussions. Chairs would have wheels to travel back and forth.

Any "pushes" for better instructional use must be made now. Jane said they will be meeting all week on pertinent matters.

RECAP ACTION LIST

WE WILL NOT MEET IN AUGUST. THIS IS THE LAST MEETING OF THIS GROUP.