February 14, 2000 Meeting
User Education Committee
University of Illinois Library
February 14, 2000
- Jim Cotter
- Lori DuBois
- Ruby Jahr
- Chris Quinn
- Mary Schlembach
- Sue Searing (chair)
- Dee Shonkwiler
- Helen Sullivan
- Julie Veazie
- Jane Wiles
Discussed clarification in minutes from 1/24/00 meeting regarding GA's position.
Review of Action List
- Lori DuBois will continue to work on weeding outdated Gen Documents and will send an
announcement when an updated list is available on the web. Jim will ask Circ Team to review them
- Beth W. was not at the meeting to discuss the possible program with Deb Gilchrist.
- Sarah and Lori looked at projector equipment for Undergrad library and User Education Committee
which would be compatible with video and computer. Lori said Undergrad Library will probably not
get funding for a purchase this year. Sue will send a memo to Bart regarding the need for the
equipment in the Undergrad Library and elsewhere to support general user education programming.
Lori said it was suggested that vendors do a demonstration at the library when the library is ready
to make a purchase.
- Lori is working on a handout for Academic Universe. The database has been publicized as a link
on the Library's main page.
- Lori put a notice regarding the availability of the portable instruction unit and the check out
procedure on the Lib News listserv.
- Julie Veazie (GA) will help Helen update the records and interface of the database of print and
electronic user ed materials. In order to keep this up to date, the libraries are going to have to
update; Helen will devise a web form for this purpose.
- WIG is continuing to work on the "Learn to Use the Library" page. This group may need some help
from other committee members who will check this site and bring ideas to the next meeting.
- Quick Guide for web interface has been updated by Ruby and Lori.
- Lori has created a new GEN document comparing Browse and Keyword searches in the online
- Lori announced that workshops begin today. Sign up is moderate. Julie designed a flyer and
cards with web site address. They will distribute them around campus later this week.
- Lori said she met with the Office of Minority Student Affairs regarding a session that will be
offered to minority students during orientation in this summer.
- PAC Team asked The User Ed Committee to suggest a more helpful message to appear when a user
searches for a book and all the copies are in use. Mary suggested a prompt which will allow the
users to e-mail a message with the important information to someone at the library who would then
initiate a recall. Jim will take this suggestion to the Circ Team meeting.
Report on ULSAC Meeting
Students recommended reaching them regarding training through their instructors.
Julie checked out the possibility of using Comp II classes as a place to do this training. The
main problem is that students often do not take a Comp II class until they are a junior or senior.
Also, approximately 150 different courses qualify as Comp II courses.
Another possibility is through Information Competency requirements. Leigh Estabrook and others
have been charged by the Provost to study this possibility of credentialing.
Assessment for Training and Professional Development
A list of about 30 people have been identified from certain divisions who would be interested in
professional development in user education. These people would be invited to attend the program Deb
Gilchrist may give. In addition, we need to target the 'needs assessment' of these librarians and
staff. Beth and others have already brainstormed some ideas for a survey. Sue will contact her. A
survey mock-up will be available at the next meeting.
Parts of the "Learn to Use the Library" web sites which are still under construction may need to
be eliminated, and there is useful information which is buried. Lori will get stats regarding use
of the sites. Features should be hyped to colleagues so they will use the site and tell their
students to use the site.
There was a discussion of the Director of Library Services and the User Education Coordinator
positions. The structure and positions are still unsettled.
Next Meeting Mon, 2/28, the 4th Monday.
During the next meeting we will discuss meeting twice a month or reducing to once a month.