Library Committee Handbook

User Education Committee

March 12, 2012 Meeting

User Education Committee

University of Illinois Library

March 12, 2012


Library 428


Members Present:

Pat Allen (12)
Susan Avery (ex officio)
Adriana Cuervo (13)
Kirstin Dougan (12)
Merinda Hensley (ex officio)
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe (ex officio) – Chair
Elizabeth Sheehan (13)

Members Absent:

Cindy Ingold (12)
Carissa Phillips (13)
Sue Searing (13)
Peggy Steele (12)

Also Attending:

Emma Clausen (Information Literacy GA)

1. Agenda Review

Lisa reviewed the agenda and asked committee members if there were any additional items to add. No additions were made.

Lisa noted that the April 9th committee meeting is cancelled. Adriana will communicate by email if the Web Scale Discovery System Implementation Team needs anything.

2. FYI – Upcoming 2011-2012 Meetings – 10:00-11:00 am

  • May 14
  • June 11
  • July 9
  • August 13

3. Acclamations and Accolades

Lisa shared that Melissa Wong, GSLIS adjunct lecturer who has taught many library graduate assistants about information literacy and instruction, won the campus award for Excellence in Online & Distance Teaching.

4. Further Thoughts on the University Library’s Strategic Initiatives

The committee discussed the University Library’s Strategic Initiatives ( and noted that integrating information literacy into Advanced Composition courses was well received. Aside from submitting information about projects already underway that directly relate to the initiatives, it is somewhat unclear how to move forward and the group will wait for further information and guidance from the Executive Committee.

5. Advanced Composition

The committee discussed the Library’s involvement in courses that satisfy the Advanced Composition (AC) requirement over the last two years (Spring 2010-Fall 2011). A report outlining sessions taught was compiled using a list of approved AC courses from the my.Illinois portal and the Informational Literacy Instruction Statistics database. Each semester, there are approximately 140 courses offered that satisfy the AC requirement, and over the last two years, the Library has been involved consistently with seven courses. The committee discussed that the Library’s integration into AC courses has not developed as naturally as the group may have hoped, which leaves room for growth and development.

The committee discussed that one of the goals of the AC initiative is to connect with all undergraduate students through course-integrated instruction. This will be possible through subject librarians, as practically every subject is represented by the courses. The question of how working with the AC requirement will serve the users of a specific subject library was raised. The committee again highlighted that the initiative should be seen as a collaborative approach and Library-wide effort to give undergraduates another access point to information literacy and library instruction, especially for those whose librarian may not focus on instruction, it is another chance to make a connection with students outside of their majors.

The committee briefly discussed how to support librarians and connect with instructors. The development of a toolkit and general guidelines of outcomes for courses, as discussed at the AC initiative meeting in January 2012, was mentioned as a way to support the instruction workload. A concern was raised that a list of faculty members is not available until the beginning of the semester and the identification process could be time-consuming process if done manually. The committee noted that it might be best to identify courses in the departments that satisfy the AC requirement and facilitate a connection by sending an email to subject specialists with courses in their area. To help frame the initiative for library faculty, Lisa will share information about the AC initiative and how it aligns with the Library’s Strategic Initiatives at the April 28 Faculty Meeting.

6. Planning - Megan Oakleaf Visit (May 1-2, 2012)

Megan has confirmed her visit for Tuesday, May 1, 2012 - Wednesday, May 2, 2012. The lecture is tentatively planned for May 1 and the workshop May 2. Workshop attendance will be priority for Library employees and thereafter GSLIS students and others with interest. More details are forthcoming.

7. Update - SFX/ORR and Primo Implementations

The Web Scale Discovery Implementation Team met recently to discuss autocomplete in the search box. David Ward and Jim Hahn presented data from Grainger that demonstrate that users pick autocomplete terms and that these searches often lead to useable results. A preliminary conclusion can be drawn that user behavior supports the effort to implement autocomplete. Google’s Autocomplete API was used.

Adriana also mentioned that the team discussed which EBSCO databases would be included in Primo. She noted that there was initially a 15 database limit but it is now 30 databases. Primo does not include EBSCO databases, but there is a way to integrate EBSCO search results into the Primo search results. EasySearch will be kept for the foreseeable future, but it will be reevaluated once Primo is running.

The committee discussed the need for up-to-date information from the implementation team, such as a timeline and meeting minutes, and the opportunity to provide feedback, especially on database choices and the viability of the EasySearch function. The opportunity for a better web presence for the implementation team was discussed. Adriana will share the committee’s feedback with the implementation team.

8. Search Manual

The committee reviewed the interview presentation section of the search manual drafted by Scott Walter. The committee briefly discussed the time allotted for presentations and how it is divided during the session and preparation for a session. Lisa will send out the draft for feedback and suggestions.

9. Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research Awards

Beth Woodard chaired a task force to create a recognition and awards program for the Library to recognize faculty, staff, and students. Out of the eleven awards proposed by the task force, three awards would be managed and administered through the User Education Committee:

The committee reviewed the award proposals, which are based on drafts created by the committee four or five years ago. In many cases, the awards are mapped to a similar award offered by the campus. The award proposals will be included in the report submitted by the task force Beth is chairing.

Submitted by Emma Clausen