December 12, 2011 Meeting
User Education Committee
University of Illinois Library
December 12, 2011
Susan Avery (ex officio)
Adriana Cuervo (13)
Kirstin Dougan (12)
Merinda Hensley (ex officio)
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe (ex officio) – Chair
Elizabeth Sheehan (13)
Cindy Ingold (12)
Carissa Phillips (13)
Sue Searing (13)
Peggy Steele (12)
Greg Youngen (12)
Emma Clausen (Information Literacy GA)
1. Agenda Review
Lisa reviewed the agenda and asked committee members if there were any additional items to add. No additions were made.
2. FYI – Upcoming 2011-2012 Meetings – 10:00-11:00 am
- January 9
- February 13
- March 12
- April 9
- May 14
- June 11
- July 9
- August 13
3. Acclamations and Accolades
Merinda shared that she has been accepted to present at LILAC Conference on best practices for workshops next April.
Kirstin reported that she will be presenting twice at the IAML conference in Montréal next July. She also had an article accepted about reference assessment.
Lisa will be going to Dubai to give a talk about academic library services during the last week of March next year.
4. Project Updates
Instruction/Outreach for ORR Transition to SFX – Merinda noted that instructional pages for the transition are complete. Two instructional pages are linked off of the Library Gateway and one is linked from the LEARN page. She will work with a graduate hourly assistant to update screenshots for these materials when the Library Gateway page is updated in January. LibGuides objects, instructional videos, and lesson plans and handouts are still in the development process. Merinda noted that she is hopeful that the process will be completed by the end of December. If anyone has comments or suggestions, please send them to Merinda.
The committee suggested that instructional materials may need to be created without screenshots for users who would like to easily refer back to procedural steps for finding articles, etc., and that instructional pages should be available from SFX itself in addition to being linked from the Library Gateway and LEARN pages. It was also suggested that Google analytics data be reviewed so the Library can keep track of how often the instructional materials are accessed.
- Media Commons – Merinda noted that there is not yet a timeline finalized for this project. The undergraduate user research process that will inform the project is ongoing. During this process, undergraduate students are being asked for feedback about what they would like in the media commons space.
- Introduction to Clickers – Susan noted that the session was a success. The small group who attended was able to experience more hands-on interaction with the clicker software to explore how they might use clickers in their instruction.
- Discussion Session as Follow-Up to Deb Gilchrist’s Visit and Assessment Immersion – To be scheduled. The committee discussed how to structure this one hour session. There will be a review of Deb’s student learning cycle to frame the conversation. The committee discussed the possibility of structuring the session like a lightning talk where 2-3 people share stories about the best thing that they took away from Deb’s workshop or Assessment Immersion or what they’ve implemented since. The last part of the session will be group discussion about plans for moving forward with assessment and how the Library can help instructors work together to implement assessment strategies. An email will be sent out to invite people who attended Deb’s workshop or Assessment Immersion to share during the session.
- Rubrics In-Service with Megan Oakleaf – Lisa is in touch with Megan to work out dates and the details of her spring visit.
5. Discussion Items
- First-Year Students and Peer-Reviewed Articles – The committee continued the conversation from the November committee meeting. Committee members discussed the two blog posts and experiences in the University Library. The discussion focused on faculty assumptions regarding student abilities, transfer of learning, course structures, scholarly conversation, and how the Library could contribute to composition and rhetoric courses. The committee also noted that this conversation could carry over to the Advanced Composition Working Group that begins meeting in January.
The blog posts are:
Submitted by Emma Clausen