Adriana Cuervo (13)
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe (ex officio) - Chair
Carissa Phillips (13)
Beth Sheehan (13)
Susan Avery (ex officio)
Kirstin Dougan (12)
Merinda Hensley (ex officio)
Cindy Ingold (12)
Sue Searing (13)
Peggy Steele (12)
Greg Youngen (12)
Emma Clausen (Information Literacy GA)
Lisa welcomed members of the committee
Lisa noted that Paula Kaufman allocated $10,000 of the Library’s one-time funding to support LibGuides creation, send someone to Immersion (teacher or program track), and bring an assessment speaker to campus.
Carissa shared that she was very pleased with the turnout of nine students at a recent non-credit Market Information Lab event. She was particularly excited to see students participate outside of events required for courses.
Adriana shared that a recent adult day care center visit to The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music (SACAM) was a success. She mentioned that it was a rewarding experience and noted how excited and engaged the group was—so much so that they didn’t want to leave at the end of the visit.
Committee Relationships Among Reference Services/User Education/Services Advisory – Lisa met with Scott Walter, David Ward, Beth Sandore, and Tom Teper to discuss the ORR to SFX transition and how the committees can best work together throughout the transition. Lisa noted that this relationship will be worked out in practice over time and that if specific questions arise another conversation can be initiated.
Instruction/Outreach for ORR Transition to SFX – Merinda continues to work on LEARN pages and LibGuides objects with the assistance of a graduate hourly assistant. Kathleen Kern drafted an announcement for the Library website regarding the ORR transition to SFX and it is currently in the approval process for posting. The announcement is made in effort to help patrons understand the transition process and ease stress on those who address patron concerns.
The committee noted that something similar to the faculty and staff weekly email announcement, eweek, could help facilitate library-wide communication concerning major transitions and updates. The committee recommends that, when web-scale discovery services are implemented, a public services group that will communicate with users be created.
LibGuides Funding – The committee discussed that some libraries do not have enough graduate assistant hours to effectively build-out LibGuides and could potentially have interest in using the available hourly funds for LibGuides creation. The committee discussed that Art & Architecture, the Education and Social Science Library (ESSL), and the Office of Information Literacy have indicated that they can make use of the funds; however, there are additional funds for other libraries if they need them. Interested librarians should get in contact with Lisa Hinchliffe. A single graduate assistant will not be deployed to build LibGuides; rather, graduate assistants who have interest in working extra hours can create and develop them. The committee was reminded that Merinda hosts training sessions throughout the year.
The committee noted that there has been some resistance to converting some content to the LibGuide format because of accessibility concerns. The committee discussed the limitations of the system, noting that there are some things that screen readers cannot process as effectively as desired. In the past, the Library has shared concerns with the company, Springshare, and the concerns were often addressed in subsequent releases of the product. If an issue is documented, Springshare is open to feedback. Any suggestions can be sent to Lisa Hinchliffe and she will share them with Springshare.
ACRL Immersion Funding – There is funding to send one librarian to the Teacher or Program Track as part of the ACRL Immersion Program in July 2012 at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont. Interest will be solicited by email; those who are interested will be asked to send in a paragraph describing their interest in participating. If there is more than one applicant, the committee will review and select from among the pool. The application to ACRL must be completed by the end of November.
314 Room Use Policy – Lisa will send out the revised 314 Room Policy to the committee this week for feedback.
Rare Book and Manuscript Instructional Space – The working group is waiting for demonstration of high-tech camera/imaging system to be scheduled.
Synchronous Online Instruction System – Beth and Lisa are exploring Blackboard Collaborate (formerly named Elluminate) as a possible synchronous online instruction system for the Library. They are going to visit with staff in the Office of Continuing Education, the campus unit that supports Blackboard Collaborate. This campus unit has a site license and offers a cost-share pricing model as well as maintenance and support. The committee noted that it is a robust system that would have many benefits for the Library. Lisa is currently using this system as a platform to hold online meetings with a colleague with whom she is co-authoring a book. She noted that the software can be successfully used in a minimalist way for the new user and also has functionality that allows for an exceptionally interactive experience for advanced users. The committee noted that the system could be used for teaching as well as holding a synchronous virtual committee meeting and leading staff training. In addition, the system has recording capabilities that would increase flexibility for scheduling conflicts.
The committee discussed working groups that are in the process of forming or that could potentially be created; this is a continuation of the conversation from the last meeting of the committee.
Copyright Instruction – This working group is co-charged under the User Education Committee and Scholarly Communication. Lisa met with Sarah Shreeves to discuss the charge and develop a timeline and roster of possible membership. The goal of this working group is to develop instruction that focuses on creative commons and how people can understand and use the creative commons framework. There is currently a parallel discussion in Scholarly Commons.
Charge: Design a comprehensive, modular instruction system that focuses on creative commons for a variety of audiences with a special focus on undergraduate students. Timeframe: October 2011 – June 2012 Possible Membership: Mark Wardecker (chair), Sarah Shreeves, Merinda Hensley, Sarah Williams, Stephanie Davidson, Kirstin Dougan
Undergraduate Research Award – The committee discussed that this group will not be charged until a decision is made concerning which committee or unit will administer the award. It is possible that it could be administered in Reference, Research, and Scholarly Services (RRSS), the Undergraduate Library, or the User Education Committee. The proposed next step is for Lisa to meet with RRSS (JoAnn Jacoby and Merinda Hensley) and the Undergraduate Library (David Ward and Susan Avery) to discuss who will administer the award. Once a decision is made, the timeframe and membership roster will be adjusted and formal procedures will be written.
Tentative Charge: Finalize proposal for undergraduate research award including recommendations for award criteria, award administration, and procedures for nominations.
Instructional Spaces – The committee noted that this working group was created last year but did not meet so the group will be recreated. The goal of the membership roster is to include someone from each division present in Main Library. The committee discussed possible members that could be added from Arts & Humanities, Area Studies, and the Rare Books and Manuscript Library. Adriana will contact Special Collections to identify someone interested in this group. The start month may change to November 2011 depending on how quickly members can be identified.
Charge: To examine the instructional facilities in the Main and Undergraduate Library buildings and make recommendations for how the spaces should change and develop over the next years building on recommendations from the New Service Model Team Reports as well as the December 2003 CPS Statement on Learning Spaces that has guided instructional facilities development in the two libraries for the past seven years. If a recommendation is to create additional hands-on classroom spaces in the Main Library, to draft a request for funding would then be submitted in the next round of Library/IT fee requests. Timeframe: October 2011 – February 2012 Membership: Lisa Hinchliffe, Beth Woodard (Staff Training), Susan Avery (CPS), (SSD), (A&H), (Area Studies), (RBML), (Technical Services) Consult with: Jeff Schrader (Facilities), Lee Galaway (Library IT)
Advanced Composition –The committee discussed how to ensure that there is a library-wide involvement in this working group. The committee noted that this is the group of people who will investigate the possibilities for integrating information literacy into advanced composition courses; there will be a separate implementation group created if it is determined to be feasible to develop such an integrated program.
Charge: To investigate the campus advanced composition undergraduate requirement and how it is implemented in the curriculum in order to develop a recommendation for integrating information literacy through a library-wide collaborative initiative building on the successful basic composition program offered by the Undergraduate Library. Timeframe: October 2011 – June 2012 Possible Membership: Lisa Hinchliffe, Susan Avery, Mary Stuart, Pat Allen, Harriett Green, Lisa Romero, Carissa Phillips, Lynne Rudasill, Ellen Swain
The committee discussed various events for the coming year.
Introduction to Clickers – This session will be in November. Lisa will touch base with Susan to finalize a date and ensure that the session is added to the Schedule of Events for the Library
Follow-Up to Deb Gilchrist and/or Assessment Immersion – The committee discussed the best possible time to schedule the follow-up session after Deb’s workshop and Assessment Immersion 2011. The committee decided that it may be better to schedule the session at the end of January to compensate for busy schedules as the semester wraps up in December.
K-12 Curriculum Outreach – The committee revisited this previous agenda item to decide if there was interest in forming a working group to investigate opportunities to work with schools. The committee decided to revisit in the possibility of forming a working group in the Spring as there are already many working groups starting in the fall.
Submitted by Emma Clausen