2003 Annual Faculty Reports
User Education Committee
June 17, 2003
Thank you for this opportunity to report to the Library Faculty about the User Education
Members of the User Education Committee for 2002-2003 were Cindy Ashwill, Paul Callister, Lisa
Janicke Hinchliffe (chair), Karen Hogenboom, Jing Liao, Cindy Shirkey, Joseph Straw, and Allison
Sutton. I wish to particularly acknowledge Cindy Ashwill, Paul Callister, and Karen Hogenboom as
their term of appointment expires this summer. I am grateful for their contributions. The User
Education Committee has been ably assisted by Ely Anderson, Information Literacy Graduate
The User Education Committee meets monthly, usually on the second Monday of the month. Minutes
are posted on the committee web site and linked from LON.
The User Education Committee has been quite active this year and has accomplished the
- Given the new Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction (Lisa
Hinchliffe), examined its charge and membership and recommended revisions to reflect the new
Coordinator position and subsequent changes to committee responsibilities, roles, and membership.
The Executive Committee accepted the recommendations.
- Reviewed and made suggestions for revisions to a vision statement for information literacy
and instruction that was incorporated into the Office of Services annual unit report.
- Participated in Voyager implementation including reviewing and editing the OPAC help files as
advisory to the Public Interface Team, responding to the Cataloging Policy Committee's
recommendations for electronic resources records in the OPAC, and developing drafts of handouts for
- Studied the
Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education, the
Model Statement of Objectives for Academic Bibliographic Instruction and “The Nine
Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning” from
Information Power, as well as The Inquiry Page (http://www.inquiry.uiuc.edu) approach to
- Wrote a
Statement on Learning Goals that was reviewed at the spring User Education Luncheon,
revised, and subsequently endorsed by the Executive Committee. The
Statement on Learning Goals will be posted on the Web soon.
- Organized the spring User Education Luncheon, which was held on March 31, 2003.
- Participated in a pilot of the Curriculum Mapping Workshop which will be offered library-wide
during the summer months.
- Endorsed a recommendation to purchase E*vents, a workshop management software, from E*vanced
Solutions, to facilitate workshop sign-up, rostering, and attendance management.
- Reviewed the library instruction statistics web form which will be implemented in
The User Education Committee looks forward to continued productivity in the coming year,
building on its successes in 2002-2003.