Library Committee Handbook

SD&T Committee

Charge and Membership

Meeting Minutes

SD&T Website

 

Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes

Tuesday, October 7, 2008  

Present: Susan Braxton, Camilla Fulton, Laura Hanson, Lisa Hinchliffe , Cindy Kelly, Susan Schnuer, Kate Swan, Sandy Wolf, Beth Woodard, chair, Helen Zhou , Joe Zumalt

Absent: Shuyong Jiang  

I. Welcome, Introductions

II. Review of Subcommittees and committee assignments/Reports

Student Training –hasn’t met
Cindy Kelly, Lyn Petrie, Diana Walter, David Ward, Marlys Scarbrough, Darlene Chirolas, Sandy Wolf

Supervising –hasn’t met—scheduled to meet: Tuesday, October 21, 9-10:30, Tuesday, December 9, 11-noon, Tuesday, January 20 9-10am
Cindy Kelly, Karen Hogenboom, Susan Schnuer, Lyn Petrie, Kate Swan, Paul Healey, Susan Hill, Sharon McFarland

Beth is to report to LSSC on October 21 at 10:30; the library faculty on October 22.
Supervisory Training Institute is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, February 18, Thursday, February 19, Tuesday, March 31 AM, Thursday, April 23, PM, Tuesday, May 5 AM, Thursday, May 31 PM, with lunches still to be arranged. Budget request is pending. It was decided that this would be open to APs as well as library faculty.

The committee decided to fund 3 staff members to attend the Supervisory 101 sessions in November. The deadline for applications will be Friday, October 10 at noon. The subcommittee will review the applications the following week.

Graduate Assistant Orientation
David Ward, Kathleen Kern, CIndy Ingold, Mary Schlembach, Emily Love, Susan Avery, Beth Woodard

When E-Resources Go Bad had about 20 in attendance. Upcoming GA continuing education events include:

Journey of the Book, October 23

Oak Street Tour, November 13

Conservation and Preservation, November 20

Technology –met Monday, October 6, Friday, October 31, Friday, December 5
Helen Zhou, Shuyong Jiang, Joe Zumalt, Laura Hanson, Robert Slater, Susan Braxton, Jenny Emanuel, Donna Hoffman
The report from yesterday’s meeting included a lengthy discussion about the Scott’s original intent when suggesting the 23 Things training, as the kinds of tools to be included would vary depending upon his goals.

There was a suggestion that a “place” and “people to ask” were important for support for this. One idea was to have a specific time each month set aside, with reserving a technology room, to answer individual questions. Another idea was to have a Library “Geek Squad” which you could call to come to your library unit and provide on-site training when you’re struggling with technology. Use of the “experts list” needs to be promoted. It was also suggested that Graduate Assistants in the library might be happy to work with this, but units would have to agree to provide their time for the project. There was further talk about whether this should be ALL online, or if there should be some face-to-face session that supplement them. The idea that the “23 Things” would be learning experiences from the ground up with the idea that people would be exposed to the technologies, versus the needs for assistance when you’re in the middle of a project and need help to get through the difficult part was discussed.

There was some talk about the need to include “niceties,” such as beverages and cookies for face to face opportunities.

There was also a discussion of the expectations that these tools will be used at work for work purposes, not for personal use.

Beth will talk to Scott to get a better feel for the purpose intended for this project, and will talk to Beth Sandore about what kinds of support IT Help Desk can and cannot provide.

Camtasia—Courtney Greene—working with her on a December date to come

Needs Assessment –hasn’t met
Lisa Hinchliffe, Shuyong Jiang,Joe Zumalt

Customer Service Working Group (a subgroup of Services Advisory and this committee)
Tina Chrzastowski, Susie Duncan, JoAnn Jacoby, Chris Johns, Debora Pfeiffer, Susan Schnuer  (co-chair),  Peggy Steele, John Wagstaff, Beth Woodard (co-chair)
Report of progress to date was given by Susan Schnuer. A concern was raised that this needs to be based on standards that are users have expressed, not just on individual unit ideas. The library should have one set of goals that are customer-based.

Wellness --
Beth Woodard, Bernice Harrington

Digital Content Training/Instruction—November 18, December 9

Merinda Hensley, Lisa Hinchliffe, Betsy Kruger, Lynn Wiley

Employee Protection Process

Cindy reported that another orientation will be scheduled soon. Bernice Harrington will coordinate this project. Beth will invite her to come to our committee meeting after the next orientation is scheduled.

A graduate student has been hired and trained in CMS to help revise the website.

III. CLass

Upcoming sessions:

Customer Service: Winning Strategies, October 23 9-noon and March 4, 2009, 1-4

Grant Writing Feb 20, 2009, 1-4;30

Simple Ways to Green Your Library March 4, 2009 9am to noon

Empowering Library Staff to Meet the Needs of the Spanish Speaking Community, March 19, 1-4 pm

Digital Cameras April 30, 2009 1-4 pm

Technology Series: Part 1 Technology-Based Marketing April 2, 2008 1-4 pm; Part 2 Technology Based Marketing April 21, 2008 1-4 pm

Searching with First Search September 23 9-11:30am and March 25, 2009, 9 am to 11:30 am

The next meeting will be October 21.