Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Present: Susan Schnuer, Donna Hoffman, Laura Hanson, Karen Hogenboom, Sandy Wolf, Helen Zhou,
Shuyong Jiang, Beth Woodard
Absent: Lisa Hinchliffe, Cindy Kelly, Joe Zumalt
- There was some discussion of training done by individual units, such as cataloging, the
Diversity Committee, Preservation and Conservation, the ATLAS group, Mortenson, and CMS.
- Supervisory training
- --Supervisory Training Institute--2 full days completed, 2 half days completed, 1 lunch
completed. 2 half days, 2 lunches, and individual work to go.
- Supervisory 101-- So far only one staff member has expressed interest. Deadline is Wednesday at
- Waiting on Scott to schedule session on GA feedback
- Need to create the material and schedule the session on Supervising Student Assistants. Beth
will invite David Ward and Mary Schlembach to a supervisory subcommittee meeting.
- Technology Training
- one person has emailed me about difficulties in adding information to the Experts list.
I added my information and didn't have any difficulties. Can I ask some of the committee members to
add their data to see if you're having problems? I'm going to talk to Robert Slater about a better
way to display the information in the CMS.
- There was lengthy discussion about problems with room 509 when people logout of the computers
and attempt to login with their own logins. Beth may need to talk to Ryan about more frequent
automatic reboots in that room. Another problem with the projected image is that the font is too
small and cannot be changed. Laura will discuss with Pat that the monitor needs to be changed to an
LCD Monitor, but the cabinet isn’t designed for that.
- Scheduling Wiki and Blogging sessions—the group discussed having the Wiki session in summer 2,
staying away from SLA June 13-17 and ALA and having the Blogging session in the fall.
- If you've registered, you've gotten information about their plans to update in July. Beth will
try to send out reminders in the next couple of weeks.
- Customer Service
- This topic is on the May agenda for Services Advisory meeting
- GA orientation and training for fall
- Mandatory training on Monday, August 18, am. A session to get feedback about the content and
schedule will be scheduled.
- Student Training
- Meeting on Thursday
- Do roll out when we do the Supervising Student assistants session this summer?
- Instructional improvement
- Lisa has suggested doing a session on Camtasia for those who would like to learn to use it.
Courtney Green has been contacted.
- Health Fair in July
- Pedometer challenge—Kudos to Meg!
2, Staff Development and Training Coordinator position—No change since 2 weeks ago
- EC is reviewing, but unlikely to be funded at full time. They have not yet discussed continuing
a half-time position.
- Budget Requests—no change since 2 weeks ago
- The budget committee has not yet set a date for budget requests, but we should be working on
this now to be ready for the request. We’ll know soon whether we can just ask for the same funding,
or if the request has to be a detailed one. I don’t have detailed information from what we’ve spent
other years since the Business Office didn’t keep it separated. I will have it for this year.
- Staff Development and Training Web page—no change since 2 weeks ago
- Julie Yen, my GA, has gotten CMS training and is working on moving over the information into