Library Committee Handbook

SD&T Committee

Charge and Membership

Meeting Minutes

SD&T Website

 

Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes

3 July 2007

Members Present: 

 

Members Absent: 

 

Agenda

I. Reviewing Paula’s Talk

II. Taking Action

III. Other

 

I. Reviewing Paula’s Talk

 

The committee talked about the meeting with Paula and reviewed the needed action items. The items discussed were:

 

 

Unit Heads

The committee discussed the need for a proposal for unit head training. New unit heads will get training and then enter a mentoring system.

 

Supervisors

  1. Supervisor training is necessary because not all supervisors are unit heads. Paula proposed getting a whole library-unit head, librarians, and staff-to attend communication training. The information would be shared strictly within the library going through this training, but they would be asked to make recommendations as to the usefulness of the training. Paula will pay for a consultant group to come in and do the training. A proposal to Paula is needed as to how to choose the single library to participate in this training. The committee decided to put a call out for volunteers with the following characteristics:
    • At least 2 librarians and 2 staff members
    • Open to the public
    • Willingness to participate
    • Open to change
  2. Other training is needed that just focuses on supervisors. The committee would put out a call for anyone who wants to spend between 3 and 6 months learning to be a better supervisor. This group would consist of between 10 and 12 people. The training time would revolve around their schedules, and then would be open to others. After 2 or 3 meetings, the committee would ask to meet with the supervisors to evaluate the program and to have the supervisors evaluate themselves.

 

Focus groups

There needs to be focus groups that include more staff. The survey results suggest that information gathering on serial maintenance is an issue that needs to be addressed.

 

Orientation Checklist

The orientation checklist is not being used. People still seem oblivious to it. A proposal needs to be written on the use and needed follow-up. Part of the encouragement to use the checklist needs to come from Paula.

 

Training Day

A proposal will be written on needed library-wide events. Cindy suggested the first training day could focus on Voyager updates, having a time slot for each module where one of the experts would give a quick review on its use and then take questions. This half-day session could also include a presentation on serial maintenance, followed by information gathering on what people need training wise. Beth will take this idea to the Voyager Training Committee.

 

II. Taking Action

 

Beth will ask the Supervisory Group to work on the proposal for the supervisor training.

 

Joe and Beth will work on the unit head training proposal. Beth will also ask Lisa to be a part of this group. Cindy suggested they begin by looking at the unit head orientation checklist.

 

Helen and Beth will work on the proposal for a training day for serials maintenance and Voyager modules.

 

Cindy and Beth will work on the proposal for the orientation checklist use and follow-up.

 

III. Other

 

The next Staff Development and Training Committee meeting will take place on Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 1-2:30pm.