Library Committee Handbook

SD&T Committee

Charge and Membership

Meeting Minutes

SD&T Website

 

Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes

December 7, 2004
1-2:30 pm
428 Library

Present:  Lisa Hinchliffe, Joe Zumalt, Zoe Revell, Sue Searing, Beth Woodard, Susie Duncan, Michael Norman, Tom Teper, Cindy Kelly

Absent:  Diana Walter,  John Weible

The Committee discussed the revision to the Orientation Checklist that Cindy Kelly has made recently.

One topic that came up was the need for Systems orientation.  An example is a forum on how to help people decide what software program to use to view their email.

Cindy proposed that we have a generic checklist for everyone, and then have additional sheets for specialized information for different groups.  For example, the Faculty list would include ordering business cards, travel money and reimbursement, tenure and promotion, etc., while the Civil Service one would include union membership and/or fair share, probationary period, filling out time cards, and the evaluation process.  There would also be one for APs, GA’s and one for hourly employees, student, extra help, academic hourly.

Cindy and Beth will work further on the general checklist, and faculty members on the group will look at what needs to be added to the Faculty list, Beth and Cindy will look at the AP list, and Susie and Zoe will look at the Civil Service list.  We will try to have a revised draft by the next meeting.  Once changes are made, it was suggested that Nancy O’Brien be asked to review the document, as well as Peggy Steele-Jon Gorman, Joyce Wright-Susan Avery, Lyn Jones-Jacquie Flaherty, as pairs of supervisors and new employees.

An issue that there are at least 4 new groups that have been charged with training activities that are writing into their charges to work with Staff Development and Training Advisory Committee, yet the coordinator has not been informed of these charges:  Competencies from the budget implementation group, federated search engine group, the open URL link resolver group, as well as diversity, which the coordinator was aware of.  The group asked Beth to speak to Paula about their concerns.

A question was raised about how the supervisor training has been progressing.  The group would like the supervisory group to meet with the whole team in January.

Michael Norman reported that there were 43 in attendance at the last Cataloging/Metadata Chat.

Tom inquired if this group has looked into grants for training, and was informed that we had not.

The next meeting is Tuesday, December 21, from 1 to 2:30 in room 428 Library.

Beth Woodard