Library Committee Handbook

SD&T Committee

Charge and Membership

Meeting Minutes

SD&T Website

 

Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes

March 1, 2005
1-2:30 pm
428 Library

Present:  Diana Walter, Joe Zumalt, Tom Teper, Michael Norman, John Weible, Cindy Kelly, Lisa Hinchliffe, Beth Woodard, Susie Duncan

Absent:  Sue Searing, Zoe Revell

Minutes from the last two meetings were distributed.

The next meeting is Tuesday, March 15, 2005, from 1 to 2:00 pm

Orientation Checklist:

John Weible noted that he is still working on the system portion.
Cindy brought an updated list.  Check boxes were added, but not all of the changes agreed to lat time were made.  A suggestion was made to give list to Nancy O’Brien to review since she is interested in this topic and very thorough.  A note was made that Becky Smith has a new librarian that needs orientation and should be given the list.

Supervisory Survey:

Survey ends today.  The group looked at the preliminary results, and noted that some comments weren’t pertinent, such as those focusing on facilities.  Remind the subgroup to concentrate on supervisory issues.

Discussion of budget preparations for next year.

Discussed what to look at for next year’s budget cycle.
Agreed to ask for renewal of Lincoln Trail’s subscription.
Agreed to ask for repeat sessions for Microsoft.
Discussed how to make training more library-oriented.  It is too time-consuming to make all examples library-related.  Perhaps a small group could help identify items that are like library applications.  How to apply this to a library program, like keeping track to library tours instead of a class roster.  Joe noted that bigger sets might be more real-life as well.  Diana suggested that the Geology transfers to Oak Street might be a non-controversial set, perhaps only the serials portion could be used.

Diversity issues:

The group discussed the suggestion from Mary Beth Allen to have the DRES presentation part of the GA Training. The group needs a recommendation from the Diversity group; perhaps a more overall session instead of one focusing only on disabilities might be appropriate.

Development issues; topics suggested:

1. Print repositories and cooperative storage strategies—Karen Schmidt—Late Sept/Early Oct?
2. Serials forum—Michael Norman—Fall?
3. Google Scholar—Greg Youngen and/or Jo Kibbee.  Jo Kibbee declined—May/June?
4. Open Access Publishing—Katie Clark—April?

Need a name for this series?  Irregular topics in Librarianship?

The group discussed the need to update the survey done last December, including what kinds of questions should be asked, whether we should have the survey research lab review it, and how to set it up technically, as well as when it should be administered.  No agreement was reached on when to administer another one.

The next meeting of the Staff Development and Training Committee is Tuesday, March 15 from 1 pm to 2 pm in 428 Library.