Staff Development and Training Commitee Minutes
July 19, 2005
Present:, Beth Woodard, Zoe Revell, Susie Duncan, Cindy Kelly, Sue Searing, John Weible, Lisa
Hinchliffe, Michael Norman
Absent: Tom Teper, Joe Zumalt, Diana Walter
- Reviewed minutes from last meeting on June 21. No comments were received during the
- The full budget was approved, and Beth has started to schedule sessions.
- The review committee and EC agreed that the coordinator role should be continued for another
three year period. Bob and Beth are working on getting more GA money for next year, and a plan for
increasing the percentage of appointment.
- The two supervisory sessions will be offered again, Paul’s in November. Beth will talk with
both Cindy and Paul about ways to make these sessions more interactive.
- Additional GA training topics:
- RefWorks. Lisa will do a session 4:15-5 on Wednesday, August 17
- Mary Laskowski and Mary Schlembach are interested in doing a session on GA Supervisors. There
is a slot open on Thursday, August 18 from 4 to 5. Beth will email them to see if this would
- Development Topics:
- Open Access Publishing session with Katie and Paula will be held on September 9 from 10 to
11:30 am in Grainger Library Commons
- Beth will approach Karen Schmidt about leading the Print repositories and cooperative storage
strategies discussion in possibly early November 2005.
- Lisa suggested that David Ward could lead a discussion on Technology Trends in Services and how
we might do environmental scanning, perhaps in February 2006.
- Student Training is meeting from 3-5 on Tuesday, July 19 with Robert Baird of CITES to look at
the quizzing function of WebCT. Members of this group are welcome to come if you’re
- Cindy has a few corrections to make to some of the orientation files. She is almost done with
the Graduate assistant one. She will send checklists to people who have started in the past
- Cindy attended T4B feedback luncheon on July 13 th. T4B did get feedback that the three day
sessions were hard for people to attend. They are moving the Working Women Conference back to
Krannert from the Assembly Hall, which means fewer people will be able to attend.
- Calendar Check. John noted that 2-3 SFX demonstrations will need to be scheduled in
September-October, along with some web editing and ORR editing sessions. Beth will try to schedule
the supervisory sessions in October and November, and Fish! in November and late April. Lisa noted
that the Active Learning retreat is tentatively scheduled for February 10 and will feature Ken
Bain. Michael has topics and discussion leaders for the next three Metadata Chats. August: Serials,
September: Institutional Repositories, Sarah Shreeves, October: , Tom. Beth will try to schedule
the Time Management/Delegation session sometime in October. It was noted that the times for the
Fall Festival are wrong in the calendar, that the tenured faculty meeting needs to be added, the
CITES retreat is on September 30 th, the Library State of the Union will probably be the Tuesday
after Labor Day, but hasn’t been announced yet, and Roy Tenant is tentatively scheduled for the
GSLIS Windsor Lecture on September 20 and the colloquium committee will try to have him come talk
to the library during the day. The ISCC Annual overview also needs to be added on September 14 th
from 2-4. Regarding Microsoft training, Windows should be scheduled first in September then
Dreamweaver in October, with Word in November, Excel in December, and FrontPage in the Spring. No
opinions on other scheduling were expressed. One new session was suggested on File Management. The
committee also discussed the impact of the Productivity software on public terminals.
Lisa pointed out that we are increasing the number of things that don’t have a training “home”
or an end-user “home,” and that the role of the Information Desk as central backup for certain
things could be expanded to include more technical support for outlaying libraries who have student
staff on nights and weekends. As part of the customer service orientation, it needs to be clear
what paths students have for referral instead of merely communicating information out and expecting
them all to absorb that information. The Secret Shopper experience clearly indicated that staff
knowledge on nights and weekends WILL tap out at some point, and what they do at that point makes a
Thursday, September 15 When E-Resources Go Bad—Wendy
Thursday, October 20 Journey of the Book
Thursday, November 17 Preservation and Conservation
Thursday, December 15 Tour of Oak Street
Thursday, January 19 Human Resources in the Library—Bob and CIndy
Thursday, February 16 Overview of Instruction/Information Literacy—Lisa Hinchliffe
Thursday, March 16 Collection Development at UIUC—Karen Schmidt
Thursday, April 20 Raising Funds and Making Friends—Lyn Jones, Jackie, Roxanne, Lynn Wiley
Thursday, May 17 Collaborations, Cooperatives, and Consortiums---WHO?
- customer service Training
- Sue and Beth will consider reprising the Angry Patron workshop next summer
- Fish! repeats will be scheduled in November and April
- Other suggestions:
- How to get published….the Untenured Librarians have this in their schedule. Social Sciences
Division suggested a big panel with outside speakers, perhaps combining RPC and the Colloquium
committee. Beth will refer this to Bob Burger.
- I thought a session on how to develop an online tutorial might be interesting. Dawn Schmidt,
Stephanie Atkins, and others, could talk about the process. Lisa would like Lori Maestre to be
involved and Lisa is on sabbatical September-December, so the committee thought that March might be
a good time for this.
- Preparing a paper for ACRL. Deadline will probably be mid to late May 2006. Lisa noted that
ARCL is also doing an online conference in April 2006, so the deadlines might shift. This could be
combined with the session on how to make a presentation more interactive.
14. Since this is the last meeting of the group until September, Beth thanked the committee for
all of their hard work this past year. Committee appointments have not been made yet, so Beth
wanted to particularly recognize Michael Norman, Joe Zumalt and Diana Walter whose terms are up
this August for their contributions.
To talk about at the next meeting:
Customer service basics—how should we go about developing this?