April 14, 2003
Beth Woodard, Susie Duncan, Jim Remington, Diana Walter, Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Cindy Kelly
Helen Sullivan, John Weible, Michael Norman, Sue Searing
1. What IT training opportunities can we hold soon?
The committee discussed the immediate training needs of the library community. The group decided the following:
• Begin with basic Access training (before Voyager specific Access training) followed by Word
and Excel training
• Decide how many training sessions will be held and who will lead the sessions
• Create goals for the sessions
• Word training sessions would ideally be one-two hours long
Word training workshop options include:
-formatting and tabs, setting defaults (basic skills)
-tables and columns
-mail merge and labels
-text boxes and images
• Excel training sessions would ideally be one-two hours long
Excel training workshop options include:
-sorting and filtering
-statistical calculations (running raw data through statistical analysis)
The committee will create appropriate Word and Excel document examples that library staff can use and manipulate during, and after, the workshop.
Beth will pursue workshop arrangements.
2. Survey Development
The committee discussed encouraging annual evaluations as a means to decipher training needs, however, other forms of evaluation would be pursued as well. The committee will wait to view the responses from Administrative Council before making any formal decisions.
3. Latest Version of Library Staff Training and Development Needs Survey
In regards to the Needs Survey, the committee offered suggestions to the newest draft. The committee decided that two surveys would be created, one created for supervisors and the other for staff. Ely will update the survey based on committee discussion. Beth will send the document, via email, to committee members prior to the next meeting.
4. Review Responsibilities statement revised draft (Beth Woodard)
The Responsibilities statement will be discussed at the next meeting.
The next Staff Development and Training Advisory Committee meeting will be April 28, 2003 from 1:30-3:00 in 428 Main Library.