Large-Scale Digitization Working Group
The Large-Scale Digitization Working Group is an oversight and coordinating group charged with
the activities and responsibilities outlined below. The group’s work is carried out in
consultation and collaboration with the Digital Services and Development Unit, CAPT, CAM, the
Preservation Department, the Systems Office, the Office of Collections, and IDEALS. The group’s
membership reflects the collaborative nature of its work and responsibilities.
Planning, Outreach, & Coordination
- To plan and coordinate the Library’s participation in mass digitization efforts such as the
Open Content Alliance.
- To oversee the appropriate expenditure of state, campus, and library funds that are designated
for digitization activities.
- To document costs involved in all aspects of mass digitization to serve as the basis for
securing future funding and staff resources.
- To promote digital conversion of Library resources, harness existing expertise, and develop
additional in-house expertise in digital content creation and services.
- To assist others on campus planning digitization projects to ensure that digital content is
developed, stored and delivered according to best practices.
- To develop content selection criteria for digital conversion of the Library’s collections to
guide currently funded projects and to serve as a springboard for the development of long-term
Standards & Best Practices
- To identify and ensure the implementation at UIUC Library of best practices for digitization
and metadata creation that address both access and preservation concerns.
- To explore and begin developing integrated access to UIUC owned and/or created digital content
via an OAI-PMH Web portal, and to roll-out a prototype of such a portal during Fall 2006.
Betsy Kruger, Chair
, ex officio