Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

3:00 – 5:00 pm

GSLIS Room 126 


Paula Kaufman, presiding 


1.     New Service Models (NSM) Report (Paula Kaufman, guest Provost Linda Katehi)

The Provost came and talked about change and what the campus will need to do in the next few years to keep us moving forward toward our strategic goals. She asked us to imagine the campus in 20-30 years. What will it take to get us to that point?

 

In the last twenty years the notion of funding has changed. We continue to identify new needs. The state can’t attend to all these needs as well as they could in the past. The resources that would have come from the state now has to come from the students. But we also have to be accountable to the students; we can’t keep asking them to pay more or exclude those that can’t afford UIUC.

 

What are our options? We can find ways to justify what we’re doing. But those arguments don’t hold up anymore. We need to become sustainable by sustaining excellence. Whatever actions we take to move forward have to be ones we can maintain. We can’t afford to believe we can continue in the same way.

 

The intellectual landscape is changing. We’re doing research in new ways in new areas. We are doing interdisciplinary work that will create new disciplines in the future.

 

The Library has taken a great step forward in moving the campus towards change. Change is good but it’s difficult. Change is important because it gives us opportunities to do so much more. We must keep in mind that whatever we do—if we want it to remain—it must be sustainable. As we select how to address our needs and focus our decisions must be based on our values and sustainability.

 

It’s critical that we communicate. We need to share our fears and articulate our values clearly. This is an opportunity to develop trust in the system. We have limited resources and cannot buy everything we want.

 

The Provost thanked the Library faculty for taking the responsibility and being one of the few groups moving forward. She would like to come back to a future meeting.

 

2.   Approval of faculty meeting minutes of February 6, 2008

      Minutes were approved with a motion by Nancy O’Brien, seconded by Becky Smith.

 

3.   Introduction of new faculty members (Paula Kaufman)

      No new faculty or staff.

           

4.   University Librarian’s report (Paula Kaufman)

     No new information on the recission. The Library continues to hold the funds in reserve.

 

      We are continuing to have problems with Voyager. Paula is working with CARLI to find a way to address these problems. The database is too big. CARLI is working with open source projects and hope they will materialize into something that will replace Voyager. Paula will ask Cindy Ashwill to make a statement to our users letting them know that we realize it’s a problem and we’re doing everything we can to fix it. CARLI is working very hard on this project and they should receive a thank you from the Library.

 

      The University is creating a BioSciences Division. Katie Newman is on the oversight advisory committee. Campus will be investing money and effort in the next few years.

 

5.   Committee Reports

            Executive Committee (Chris Prom)

            See  http://www.library.uiuc.edu/committee/exec

            Positions will be posted on this website. Send comments to Chris Prom.

 

            Bylaws Committee (Mary Mallory)

The bylaws committee is proposing the following change to the University Library Bylaws. The purpose of the change is to bring the bylaws into conformance with UIUC Senate rules.


Proposed amendment to Article VI, Section 1 (new language is indicated by underscore):

ARTICLE VI. STRUCTURE | Section 1. COMPOSITION AND GOVERNANCE 

C. Changes in the structure of the organization shall be made in accordance with the provisions of Article IV, Section 4 and Article VIII, Section 2 of the Statutes. Changes in the structure or composition of the divisions shall be made only with the advice of the Faculty as taken and recorded by vote of the Faculty.

This change brings the library faculty bylaws in line with the principle behind UIUC Senate Rule 13, which states in part: "B. In any proposal for the formation or change in academic organization (such as, termination, separation, transfer, merger, change in status, or renaming) of an academic unit, as provided in the University Statutes, Article VIII, the advice of the faculty at each level (e.g., department, school, college, as applicable) shall be taken and recorded by vote of the faculty. Voting shall be as provided in the bylaws of each unit."

 

The Bylaws Committee feels the entire faculty should vote on advising the UL on issues and not just Executive Committee members. They feel this is more in-line with shared governance.

 

Several faculty did not feel the whole faculty should be involved in a vote regarding Division business.

 

Al Kagan stated the sentence “advice of faculty” means recorded vote. This is not intended to address internal division structure.

 

Others felt the language should be clarified to make this clearer.

 

            Colloquium Committee (Adriana Cuervo)

The Library Colloquium Committee presents: "Revolution in the Digital Revolution: We Must Learn from the Past to Rip the Claws of the Past from the Future" - A Lecture by Robert McChesney, Gutgsell Endowed Professor, Department of Speech Communication and the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Date: Tuesday May 6,  4:00 PM. Refreshments at 3:30 PM
Location: ACES Library - Heritage Room

 

            The speaker list can be found at:

http://cms.library.uiuc.edu/cms/committee/colloqm/index.html

 

The committee suggested that they re-write the bylaws to be clearer and bring it back to another meeting.

 

6.   Student Assistant Budgets FY 2009 (Rod Allen and Scott Walter)

      The year we received money from the Provost to cover the minimum wage increase. That was one-time money. Paula has asked for additional money this year to cover these increases.

 

      The student assistant budget was sent out as it is to give people something to work with until we get real numbers. The final numbers will not reflect an across the board cut.

 

      Scott will be sending out the hours the Library wishes to see for all the libraries. They won’t all match up with the dollars everyone has right now and we need to look at what needs to be done to make this a reality. In the meantime we will be working in tiers.

 

      Paula reminded everyone that we need to think about the totality of staff and look at hiring staff to work different hours.

 

7.   Diversity Programming and Initiatives (Emily Love and Cindy Ingold)

      Cindy and Emily are the co-chairs of the Library Diversity Committee. The Library Diversity goals can be found at  http://www.library.uiuc.edu/committee/charges/diversity.htm. They would like to encourage membership in the committee.

 

The three basic goals are to: create a welcoming environment to the whole community; enhance teaching, learning and research by improving access to information resources that serve the needs of a diverse academic community; and recruit and retain faculty from diverse cultures and races and with disabilities that reflect societal demographics.

 

      Emily is the Multicultural Outreach Services Librarian and that web page is at  http://www.library.uiuc.edu/ugl/diversity/outreach.html. On the website you can see the things Emily is working on.

 

      Emily (with others) put on an International Filming at UGL. She works with student groups on campus that have a multicultural base. She works reference at their computer labs. At the office of minority affairs she does instruction. In the Graduate College she does summer research opportunities program and has summer office hours. She contributes to the LIS Access Mid-west Program (LAMP). It’s a recruitment program for undergraduate juniors.

           

      There will be additional training programs in the future. The Committee is planning to sponsor a program regarding LGBT in the fall. They are also considering a softball or kickball team this summer to give faculty and staff a fun way to interact with each other.

 

      You can also find additional information from campus on the Inclusive Illinois website.

 

8.   Retrospective Reference (Jo Kibbee)

Proposal for a Retrospective Reference Collection for Main Stacks

 

Proposal: The Stacks Reconfiguration Taskforce Report recommends designating part of the Main Stacks (front of current Deck 5) as a building-use only Retrospective Reference collection. The purpose of this collection is to house reference works that have research/referral value, but are distinct from an up-to-date working collection. One of the main characteristics of reference books is that they are frequently updated. While we strive to maintain currency in the Main Reference collection and in departmental libraries, as a research library we find that we still need to consult these ‘dated’ works. A good example is older editions of  American Men and Women of Science, which include unique biographical sketches. The nature of these titles argues against sending them to off-site shelving.  Moving them together in the Main Stacks, however, frees valuable space in the Reference Room and in departmental libraries, while increasing convenience for users and reference staff by locating them in a central, easily accessible location.

 

Definition of a reference work: The classic definition of a reference book is a work that is consulted to find a specific item of information (an address, definition, bibliographic citation, etc). Reference works typically include dictionaries; encyclopedias; directories; almanacs, handbooks, and yearbooks; collected biographies; and indexes. They may be single volume (e.g., dictionary); multi-volume set (encyclopedias), or contins (periodical index).

 

Criteria: Though it may be difficult to articulate hard and fast criteria for this collection, the overarching consideration is that the items still retain research value and would be consulted frequently enough to warrant remaining in the Main Library. The following guidelines for what constitutes a ‘retrospective reference’ include:

 

  1. Classic encyclopedia sets (note: the Reference Room alone has over 20 sets of national encyclopedias in native languages, as well as classic subject-specific encyclopedias, which are occupy prime real estate but are rarely consulted).
  2. Retrospective bibliography (e.g., National Union Catalog; G.K. Hall catalogs; British Library Catalog; Bibliotheque Nationale, and other national bibliographies) and book trade information (e.g., Cumulative Book Index)
  3. Reference titles which retain unique information (quotation books, previous editions of collective biography)
  4. Superceded directories that have research value (e.g.,  Europa Yearbook, World of Learning, American Library Directory).
  5. Yearbook sets (Facts on File, Keesings, Gallup index)
  6. Print counterparts of titles not totally duplicated online (e.g.,  Dictionary of Literary Biography is online in text only, while the print copy has photos, reproductions of manuscripts, etc.).
  7. University of Illinois resources (e.g, Yearbooks, salary books, course catalogs, etc).
  8. Infrequently consulted indexes that are not available online (e.g., early years of citation indexes) or have superior browsing value in print format.
  9. Periodical indexes duplicated online that offer alternate (and occasionally superior) searching capability (e.g.,  New York Times Index)
  10. The collection can include resources in all languages.

 

Reference works that would NOT be included:

1.     Most superceded editions of general and subject encyclopedias (e.g., Encyclopedia of the Middle East, 1 st ed).

2.     Directories that don’t have substantial research value (e.g., Directory of Scholarships and Financial Aid)

3.     Chronologies, lists (e.g., prizes), etc., that are available in more recent editions

4.     Government documents (because of the call numbers)

5.     Duplicate copies (i.e., not having two copies in retro ref, or a copy in a dept lib and retro ref)

 

Procedure: Following the guidelines described above, all libraries are urged to identify titles for this collection, both from their libraries and from their subject areas within the Stacks. In order to anticipate how much room is necessary, libraries should give an estimate of the number of linear feet they anticipate moving into this collection, both from the stacks and from their departmental collections. More specific procedures and timeframe will be provided before the transfers begin.

 

The committee consists of Mary Burkhardt, Matt Emmert, Kathleen Kluegel, Diane Schmidt and Jo Kibbee, chair. They have been meeting for the last few months trying to figure out how to make space happen. This grew out of the Bookstacks Reorganization Task Force. The idea was to reduce space pressure in the Reference room and departmental libraries and at the same time help the entrance of the stacks to have a better looking area. The resources are not used very often, but when they are, it is very inconvenient to get them from Oak Street. They have a lot of buy-in with everyone wanting this piece of their collections moved first.

 

They would like to have these on deck 5. This would be done in phases. As some space is cleared things will be moved there starting with Reference. We also need space for people to work with the collection. The second priority will be departmental libraries that are being consolidated and then departmental libraries that overcrowded. Then UIUC materials that in the stacks like yearbooks and course catalogs and then backruns of materials in the stacks and finally additional titles.

 

Jo will meet with units and divisions to get estimates for what needs to be moved.

 

Paula discussed that there are 250,000 serial volumes that need processing before they go to Oak Street. Paula asked Michael Norman to look into the possibility of outsourcing this by contracting with a firm that employs librarians on a temporary basis to come in and do a blitz. This would be funded with unrestricted gift funds.

 

In the new model it seems that the Reference Room will be the site of the Scholarly Commons. There will be bookshelves along the walls that will still have some reference and print sources. There is still a ready reference working collection. The room has a lot of potential to be used with print sources. The room will go back to what it was supposed to be.

 

9.   Old business

      No old business.

 

11.  New business

Kagan – How do we frame the NSM report? If you look at it as a report that is finished and now we will implement it, that’s not the right way. Constituencies need to be consulted. We can look at it in terms of a report that we can use to go forward with consultation of our constituencies’ input.

 

Walter – The Provost has talked generally about the NSMs. There is a formal statement from the Provost on the NSM final report website.

 

Wiley – TSD is sponsoring an end of the academic year pizza party for those who volunteer to shelve books. Please sign up.

 

Kaufman – In regards to the NSM, there are many opportunities for discussion with everyone. There is room for shaping. We can’t do everything at once but we need to keep pushing forward with further discussions.

 

11. Announcements

J. Wright – Thank you to everyone that participated in the Faculty Staff Giving Program. The deadline for the campaign is May 31. Paula thanked everyone who has been supporting the Library.

 

12.  Adjournment

5:00pm