Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

3:00 – 4:30 pm

GSLIS Room 126

 

1.      Approval of faculty meeting minutes of February 7, 2007

Minutes were approved with changes by a motion from Betsy Kruger, seconded by Becky Smith

 

2.      Introductions and University Librarian’s report – Karen Schmidt

There were no new librarians to introduce.

 

Paula Kaufman, Rod Allen, and I met with Provost Katehi, Vice Provosts Ruth Watkins and Dick Wheeler, Associate Provost Mike Andrechak, and 3 members of the CBOC (Abbas Aminmansour, Petros Sofronis and Jon Thaler) on Tuesday, March 6, for our FY08 budget hearing. It was a positive and lively conversation that included substantial discussion on the need to consolidate service points and develop new service models. There is a very clear message from the Provost that we need to address this issue, and it will be to our benefit if changes come from us rather than being driven from the outside. I will be following up by meeting with divisions to talk about this issue.

 

The Provost also spoke positively and enthusiastically about simulation gaming and virtual reality sites and affirmed our work in this area. Other issues we discussed included collection inflation, reallocation of collection money to support priorities on campus (and it appears we will be getting more direction in that regard than we have previously) and issues of retention and salary compression. Sge also mentioned her work to build further collaboration regarding health and medical sciences between UIC and UIUC, which may have a potentially positive effect on our delivery health sciences journals and databases.We received no information about the budget, or what we might need to pay in campus taxes. The budget meetings across academic units on campus continue through March and we

 

are told that budget information may be available in late April or early May.

 

Things are moving along with the hiring of the new CIO at CITES. The plan is that Paula will be back by mid-May.

 

Karen presented Government Documents a plaque commemorating their 100 th Anniversary as a Federal Depository. Karen Hogenboom accepted the award.

 

John Wagstaff asked if the Provost will provide any funds for consolidating service points in the Library. Karen said the Provost recognizes the main Library as a huge challenge and that the facility is not adequate as it is.

 

3.   Committee Reports

Executive Committee -
Chris Prom

The Executive Committee met three times since the last Faculty Meeting on February 7 th. This report provides a summary of discussions and actions since then.  A full list of meetings and minutes for each meeting are available through the EC website.

 

Major Library Initiatives

Last year, EC identified two major areas of focus in its “Strategic Priorities”c c Document: Development of the Scholarly Commons Model and Mass Digitization.

 

The evolution of the Library’s strategic plan is ongoing, as AC and EC are working through planning activities relating to our Strategic Priorities and to the decision making processes in the Library.

 

As part of its activities, EC met with Betsy Kruger, who is currently heading our Mass Digitization effort.  Betsy updated EC on the group’s activities, and submitted a budget request.  Karen and Paula will be leading efforts to identify funding, from outside the Library’s permanent Budget, to support these activities for an additional year.  EC and other groups in the Library, including the faculty, are encouraged to think about long-term funding or reallocation models to support digitization.

 

EC also met with Beth Woodard, chair of the Integrative Research Services Task Force.  This group is charged with examining models and providing recommendations for the “Scholarly Commons” model.  She discussed plans for a website to bring together virtually the services offered by the Library; to develop proposals for redesigning physical space to offer services such as patron scanning; and to developing three potential scenarios for service delivery: 1) digitizing for faculty, 2) collaborative space for graduate students for research seminars, and 3) informal space for reading groups. Beyond that she spoke about the role of reference service; and the role of subject librarians. The task force will present a written progress report to EC in March.

 

Appointments and Faculty Issues

 

EC reviewed a position description for the GIS Librarian position, which was approved last December.

 

EC recommended to Karen that a TOPS request be forwarded to the Provost for consideration.  The request was from the Undergraduate Library, for an Orientation Librarian.  The position will collaborate with the Reference Library staff.

 

EC made search committee recommendations for the positions of RBML Curator of Special Collections, Research Programmer--IT, Workstation and Network Support Unit, Digital Library Research Programmer, and Coordinator for Web Content.

 

EC finalized recommendations for paper preparers and faculty editors for the 5Y candidates.

 

Preliminary recommendations were made for internal and external reviewers for 5Y candidates. The discussion will continue at the March 12 meeting.

 

EC discussed annual evaluation criteria for visiting faculty, and considered the responses from the recent survey of visiting faculty on this topic. It was agreed that expectations for each position should be stated clearly in appointment letters, and that any policy taken should be applied consistently. Karen Schmidt will summarize the discussion and EC will work toward final policy decisions at an upcoming meeting.

 

EC discussed a few other personnel issues.

 

In upcoming meetings, we will be discussing the role of AC and EC in Library decision making.  Any recommendations will be discussed more broadly before implementation.  In addition, we will be reviewing and updating the search committee procedural guidelines, and ways in which we might offer encouragement to Librarians working on new initiatives.   The latter topic may also be discussed at an upcoming faculty meeting.

4.   Report on large-scale digitization projects in progress (OCA/IH) - Tim Cole, Betsy Kruger

      The Large-scale Digitization Project is in progress. The members are Zoe Chao, Tim Cole, John Gorman, Kurt Groetsch, M.J. Han, Betsy Kruger, Rob Manaster, Bill Mischo, Michael Norman, Chris Prom, Beth Sandore, Jeff Schrader, Karen Schmidt, Sarah Shreeves, and Mary Stuart.

 

      Open-Content Alliance Project – They did a roll-out two weeks ago for Naomi Jakobsson, who contributed over half of the funding, Provost Katehi, and Randall Kangas from the University Office for Planning and Budgeting, which gave us $200,000 towards funding the project. There are two staff people and will soon be up to full capacity. 112 volumes have already been digitized and they hope to digitize 6000 this year. Most of the digitizing is being done in the areas of Illinois history, culture, and natural resources, rural studies and agriculture, U.S. railroad history and works in translations.

 

      They are hoping for renewed funding. They will be putting out a call for materials people would like to have digitized. There is an RFP in process that involves two venders to digitize eleven large projects. Most materials will be shipped out in the next couple of weeks and be back next summer. Through both projects, two million pages will be scanned. (see attached for budget and other information)

 

Illinois Harvest – Cole

The content is constrained to Open Content materials. The url for the webpage is http://illinoisharves.grainger.uiuc.edu. They hope to get this linked to the main Library page by spring break. You’ll see information relating to Illinois, materials outside our collection, a focus on scholarly materials, resources indexed on IDEALS, and materials about Illinois or by Illinois authors. A special thanks to Tom Habing for writing all the code. (see attached for more information)

 

Michael Norman

Thank you to Kurt Groetsch and M.J. Han (visiting metadata librarians) for their work in helping Technical Services and cataloging to take the next step. They have been working with unmarced metadata. We’ve tried to harvest metadata that we can’t. We have catalog records for a lot of items, but there are still a lot of items that we don’t have records for. We’v e learned about converting Marc to Marc XML and using programs like Oxygen to convert records embedded in digital objects. Kurt and MJ will give a series of workshops in April, to the whole Library and disseminate information to anyone interested. They have come up with best practices.

 

Before putting online links in the catalog for access they want a persistent url. The books that have been digitized will begin showing up on the online catalog and you should be able to find them by title and subject. The RFP materials will have a record in the on-line catalog. There is a task force that Michael chairs that is looking at ways to better showcase our digital collection.

 

They have had experience working with Beth Wolgemuth and INSH. A lot of their records were in RefWorks so Kurt is converting that data and looking at ways to map these into Marc records.

 

Scott Schwartz asked when Open Source will be released.

Everything they are doing on the portal will be released the first week of April.

 

Scott Walter mentioned that in the Illinois Harvest site, the use of Illinois and the University of Illinois is confusing. They might want to make this campus compliant with their standards.

The group is planning to do a lot of usability testing before they release this to the public.

 

Materials going into IDEALS is being hit by Google.

 

5.   Report on Osher Life-Long Learning and community outreach - Scott Walter , Merinda Hensley (see attachment)

     

      Osher Life-Long Learning Institute is a new program starting up on campus. It has the possibility of bringing a number of new users into our Library. Scott and others have been working with the Osher group over the past few weeks. The program is designed to bring the community in contact with very broad sets of resources made available by the University; our cultural and intellectual resources, and the professional expertise of the people who work for the University.

 

      How can we engage members of the community that contribute to our organization through their tax dollars and other ways, beyond those who are getting direct benefits by either working or attending school here?

 

      The focus of the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute program is to bring retirees, primarily, back to campus to take part in focused academic activities, six-eight weeks in length on a variety of topics. The program on our campus is housed in the Office of the Chancellor and specifically tied with the alumni scholar program The program is to start fall 2007. These will be academic programs, but non-credit. UIUC faculty have been recruited to teach.

 

      Merinda Hensley from Central Reference is the primary contact at the Library along with Steph Atkins in Circulation and Scott Schwartz in Sousa Archives. This will launch in April and recruiting of participants will begin. Participants will enroll on an annual basis. We are still exploring with them the limits of possibilities we can provide the ‘ students’ and faculty. The ‘students’ will get Net IDs, UIUC email, and an OLLI designation.

 

      Valerie Hotchkiss has agreed to teach a class in Rare Books. Chris Prom has agreed to teach a class in Archives. John Hoffmann has agreed to teach a class in the Illinois History and Lincoln Collection. Scott Schwartz has offered to teach a class in the Sousa Archives. Merinda will teach the introductory class to start the students off.

 

      Merinda is working on a webpage that will serve a coordinating function for all of these resources.

 

      Tim Cole suggested that this could be an inhibitor to public outreach due to the lack of credit received on campus. We need to be better at finding ways to credit this work for the faculty. We may need to change the way we do service.

 

      Becky Smith suggested that they be sure to talk to the professional schools as some resources are off-limits to everyone who aren’t enrolled in professional schools.

 

      Jo Kibbee wanted to know if any of this is fee-based and will the Library get any of those fees.

They are looking into that especially in regards to reserves.

 

      Cindy Ingold asked how many students could be expected.

The target is 200 students at an approximate annual fee of $200 plus a per class cost. There’s also a possibility that workshops may be fee based.

 

Steph Atkins’s group is developing a three-year program for outreach. They are looking at ways of extending access to the Library’s content to the local community outside of the campus community. Some possibilities for outreach, partnerships, and collaborations are with pre-K-12, Parkland College, the public libraries, museums, various local organizations, public TV and radio, etc. At this point they are trying to develop a plan and then talk about what they want to do the first year and then second year. They also want to look at assessment to see what the impact is with various activities. It is a large group, some members are Susan Avery, Paula Carns, Roxanne Frey, Susan Harum, Emily Love, Lori Mestre, and Greg Youngen.

 

Katie Newman asked if these ‘students’ will be able to access things from home.

Not at this time.

 

6.   Old business

      There was no old business.

 

7.      New business

There was no new business.

 

8.      Announcements

There were no announcements.

     

9.      Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned by a motion by Al Kagan, seconded by Nelly Gonzalez.