Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

Wednesday, October 20th, 2004

3:00-5:00 pm

GSLIS Room 126

(Refreshments at 2:30)

 

Special Note: At this meeting Scott Schwartz and Alvan Bregman played  a selection of  guitar pieces for us beginning at 2:30.

 

Paula Kaufman, presiding

 

1.  Approval of faculty meeting minutes of September 15th, 2004 draft posted on LIBNEWS-L on 10/08/04; and soon to be posted at http://www.library.uiuc.edu/committe/faculty_meeting/minutes/09-15-04.html

 

Minutes were approved by a motion from Barbara Ford, seconded by Kathleen Kluegel.

 

2.  Introduction of new librarians

 

Linda Ackerson introduced Chris Lamb as the new assistant reference librarian. 

 

Joyce Wright introduced Susan Avery as the new instruction coordinator for the undergraduate library.

 

Janis Johnston introduced Travis McDade who is new law reference librarian.

 

3. University Librarian's report (Paula Kaufman)

 

John Unsworth was welcomed to the meeting.

 

The next football game is Homecoming.  The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will be selling orange bracelets for $2 with proceeds going to the library.  The Devleopment office will notify when they are ready.

 

Last weekend was the University of Illinois Foundation's Annual Meeting.  There are no large gifts to announce, but Paula, Lyn, and Roxanne met with some major donors.  Also, some significant gifts are in the planning stages.

 

There have been several complaints from users regarding unanswered emails.  Be careful before deleting email.  Also, check your filtered mail.

 

At the Dean’s meeting, the Ethics Training was discussed.  All State employees must complete the Ethics training.  If you have already taken it, you won’t need to take it again.  There is however, an additional section which has been added.  You will be receiving email regarding the addition.

 

The President and the Chancellor have each given a ½ gift day for Thursday, December 30.  Bob will be in contact with librarians to discuss hours.  The campus as encouraged us to reduce hours.

 

Following up on budget conversations.  There is not much new to discuss.  There is a large figured to cover unavoidables.  The tuition increase will not cover all of this.  We anticipate no new revenues from the state.   The Provost emphasized the budget as a continual structure problem. No new money can be expected. 

 

Budget Implementation Task Force reports can be expected at the end of the year. 

 

ICR Funds for FY03/FY04.  A portion of ICR revenue now goes to the PI.  25% will be set aside for seed grants to be determined by EC.  This policy was established in February 2003.  There is now $64,000 in this fund.  Proposals must be made to EC for grant activity.  The policy is available on the Library website policies page.

 

4. Committee reports

 

Executive Committee (Lynne Rudasill)

 

Executive Committee

Report to the Faculty for September 27, 2004

 

 

1.  Minutes from the Executive Committee Meeting of September 13, 2004 were approved.

 

2.  Discussion of the Future of the Reference Library

 

Bob Burger attended the meeting to share his vision of  what the Reference Library could or should become both physically and in relationship to other units. 

 

Jo Kibbee later joined the meeting to articulate her view of the Reference Library as a service point for the immediate and distant future. 

 

3.  A request to fill a position was approved.  

 

4.  Question time – The topic of alternative funding issues was raised again.  Work is being done in the area and it may be time to put the question back on the table with the campus once again.

 

A question about parking in the metered lot on the days there are football games was raised. Paula explained that DIA provides staff to control access to the lot for Library staff and users. The space considerations will no doubt get worse if the campus uses the metered lot for overflow when the parking near the Newman Center is shifted to make way for construction of a central campus parking deck and equipment used to repair the Main Library roof must be allocated in the lot.  

 

The request was made to have the Executive Committee review the standard packet sent out to candidates applying for positions at the Library.  This item was placed on the list for a future meeting.

 

The Bylaws Committee is examining the changes that might need to be made to the document in accordance with the Executive Committee’s suggestions for reconfiguring the Administrative Council.

 

Some students have expressed concern about having their pictures taken in the Library.  Some are concerned due to religious reasons, privacy reasons, and as a repercussion of the Patriot Act.  University and/or library policy on picture taking on the premises is under investigation.

 

5.  Discussion of frequency of Faculty Meetings – The Executive Committee will be polled regarding two models that were proposed to reduce the number of faculty meetings.  The need for more efficient dissemination of reports for faculty meetings or perhaps in lieu of faculty meetings was discussed as well. 

 

Report on the Executive Committee Meeting of October 19, 2004

Minutes - The minutes of the Sept. 27, 2004 meeting were approved.

  Question Time -

 1.  Paula Kaufman distributed the ICR fund statement to members of the Executive Committee.

 2.  Some problems with the operation of Expresso Royale were discussed.  Complaints should be forwarded to Jeff  Schrader.  The Library has received approximately $15,000 as  part of the agreement with Expresso to operate in the area.

 3.  The revamp of the tunnel is an undergraduate project currently being overseen by a faculty member in Art and Design.

 4.  There was a question concerning placement of exhibit cases in the Marshall Gallery This is being investigated.

 5.  Problems syncing between Corporate Time and PDAs were discussed.  Paula Kaufman will talk to Beth Sandore about this.

 

  Faculty Meetings

 The Executive Committee will present the following proposal to the faculty for consideration:

 Library Faculty Meetings will be held seven times per academic year on the following schedule:

Fall Semester:  September, October, November

No meetings in December and January

Spring Semester:  early February, March, late April

Summer:  late July

 Other meetings could be called as needed.

 

 Strategic Plan

The EC approved a motion to adopt the goals of the strategic plan with sincere thanks to Diane Schmidt and the members of the Strategic Planning Committee.  The Executive Committee awaits the final recommendations of the Administrative Council concerning the future of the strategic planning committee.

 

A personnel matter was discussed.

 

Bylaws Committee

The Bylaws Committee forwarded a revised version of the Library Bylaws along with the list of previously approved changes to this document, as well as wording that will keep the Bylaws compliant with the requirements of the Faculty/Student Senate of the campus.  The corrected document, along with any items that require amendment by the Library faculty, will be brought forward to the full faculty in the near future.

 

  Short-term Faculty Appointments – 

Paula Kaufman will share an announcement with the Library faculty concerning the request for proposals for short-term appointments to strengthen the International Dimension announced by Earl Kellogg of International Programs and Studies.  Requests will be accepted by the Executive Committee, with electronic delivery no later than noon, November 29th for review at the December 1 meeting.  Collaborative proposals are seriously encouraged.

 

Candidate Packages – 

The information packet currently being provided to the candidate applying to the University Library was reviewed.  Members of the Executive Committee were asked to bring a list or hard copy of items they would like to see included in this packet.

 

NEVP and Electronic Voting (Jennifer Hain Teper)

 

Jennifer Hain Teper reported on NEVP’s current investigation of the prospects of electronic voting for the Library. 

 

The pros of electronic voting include: easier counting, requires a secure login, no one can vote twice, it saves money, allows for no-votes, and the system will not allow the user to spoil ballots.  The cons include: preferential voting is not allowed, but Cites, who has the software, will work on this is the Library decides to use the software. 

 

The system will do pop-ups if an error is made in voting and the ballot can not be submitted until the error is corrected. 

 

Jennifer provided a demonstration of the software.

 

A call for expression of interest at the meeting resulted in sufficient votes in favor of continuing investigation of the prospects of electronic voting. 

 

Access Strategy Team (Peggy Steele)

 

The Access Strategy Team was created by the Budget Implementation Task Force.  The membership is as follows: Peggy Steele, chair; Michael Norman, John Weible, Jo Kibbee, David Ward, Lisa German, Bill Mischo, and Wendy Shelburne.  The charge of the group includes two components.  The first is implementation of a link resolver and a federated search engine, which have been purchased by ILCSO, and the second is the recommendation of a new infrastructure to support metadata creation in the library. 

 

ILCSO issued an RFP for three products.  A federated search product (Webfeat), a linkresolver (SFX), and a digital object management system (ContentDM). The Library plans to implement all three products.

 

Two subgroups have been created in the Access Stategy Team.  The first group, known as the Feds, is charged with implemented the federated search product.  Undergraduate students will be the target audience for the pilot project, which will design and implement the service, evaluate its success, and make recommendations for expanded use to other groups in the Library.  T’he membership of this group is as follows: David Ward and Peggy Steele, co-chairs; Susan Avery, Naun Chew, Lisa Hinchliffe, JoAnn Jacoby, Dawn Schmitz, Jon Gorman, and Bill Mischo.

 

The second group, the Open URL Linkresolver Implementation team(OLRITS), are charged with the implementation of the linkresolver software, SFX.  The membership of this group is as follows: John Weible, chair; Michael Norman, Tina Chrzastowski, Sue Searing, and Wendy Shelburne. 

 

Kathleen Kluegel asked for clarification of the differences between TdNet and SFX.

 

5. Other reports

 

Update on Oak Street (Betsy Kruger)

 

Betsy gave a multi-media power point presentation on the progress of Oak Street.  The goal of the Oak Street rapid accession project was to move 755,000 volumes from bookstacks to the Oak Street Facility by the end of 2005.  This will provide an initial amount of relief to the overcrowded departmental libraries.  The initial plan was to move 53,748 volumes from libraries into Oak Street and 21,865 volumes from departmental libraries bookstacks.  We will now be moving 75,613 volumes from departmental library into Oak Street and 53,000 into bookstacks.  For 2004 the amounts of contributions from the divisions was over 9,000 hours, and from Technical Services and the budget money we received from library administration 22,000 hours, for a total of 31,116 hours.  So far we have actually clocked 26,237 of these hours.  Of the groups doing this work, academic professionals account for little under 1 percent, Graduate Assistants about 4 percent, librarians about 9 percent, students and extra-help about 33 percent, with the vast majority being done by civil services staff. 

 

To date we have barcoded about 505,000 volumes.  329,000 of those have been since January.  We have sent over 3,146 monographs to Technical services for cataloging and bibliographic record work, and 400 to Slavic for bibliographic and holdings work.  Additionally, more than 2,800 serial bib records have been upgraded as well as countless number of MARCettes.  We have over 225,000 upgrades to the bibliographic holding records in Voyager.  Over 372,000 items were reviewed for stabilization needs.  54,600 pieces received some kind of treatment.  About 14 percent of the material going to Oak Street needs some kind of stabilization. 

 

The Oak Street Library Facility was officially turned over to us last week.  This week at Oak Street they are labeling the shelves.  Furniture is being put it in and computers are getting set up.  Next week we will move 110,000 volumes from Hort. Field Lab to the Oak Street Facility.  This week in Bookstacks we are preparing for a shipment of 12,000 volumes to go to Oak Street this Friday afternoon. 

 

Beginning in November, every week 12,000 volumes will be going over to Oak Street Facility.  From January through March we will begin taking material from the departmental libraries to Oak Street or into the bookstacks.  This is a project that Stephanie Atkins is coordinating along with help from Jennifer Hain Teper.  They will be in contact with your library.  They will send teams over to pick, scan, and pack all your material so all you’l l have to do is select them.  Make sure the material is barcoded and the records have been upgraded in Voyager.  After March 2005, the next opportunity for departmental libraries to transfer either into the bookstacks or to Oak Street will be in early 2006.  This year we anticipate needing/using over 20,000 hours from the division, 24,000 from conservation, circulation, and tech services for a total of almost 44, 000 hours.  This comes to 23 full time people working for an entire year. 

 

Special formats at Oak Street.  For the first module at Oak Street we are taking bound volumes and some wrapped newspapers and some archival boxes.  There is very limited shelving for folio size material.  They have set up special packaging and handling and delivery procedures for that kind of material that can be used for a model when and if someone wants to send these over.  Requesting procedures have been set up through Voyager that will make sure these requests go through your unit and that the materials will be delivered to your unit for the patron. 

 

Email discussions have begun regarding storage requirements for other formats in the second module. 

 

A Bookstacks Reorganization Task Force has been appointed by Paula Kaufman to look at what we can do in the bookstacks once the 800,000 volumes are out.  They will review how material flows through the bookstacks, arrangement of material, and cleaning and stabilization of material.  The will look at staff areas within the bookstacks.  They will collect cost data on feasibility of doing this in-house or outsourcing.  Signage will also be revised.  Recommending moderate/low cost fixes.  The task force will also meet with the architectural consultant being hired by the library.

 

There will be an Oak Street Open House on Tuesday, December 7 from 3:00-5:00.

 

Paula sent a request to the Provost and the Chancellor for the funds to build the second module of Oak Street.  Jeff Schrader is working with the campus architects to get Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, and Abbott for some consultation with regard to the Main Library Building.

 

 

FY05-06 Budget (Rod Allen)

 

There was consensus at the last budget group that they needed to come back to the faculty as we worked out FY06, to review what happened in the past year and see how we got to where we are, where we plan to be at the end of this year and, how things look for FY06.  The budget group developed 4 plans for last year, not knowing where we would end up with our allocation from the Provost.  Plan B was the most positive with no cuts and an additional $1.6 million, 1 million in recurring, and $600,000 non-recurring.  This is what Paula actually got from the Provost.  GA’s were underfunded last year by about $65,000 so a little more money was allocated to the GA’s line.  In non-academic salaries there were 5 vacancies that we abandoned.  The 102,100 will be used to raise student wages to meet the new minimum wage.  This does not take effect until January 2005.  We will need an additional $102,000 to cover for next year. 

 

A large part of the $1.6 million had to go in the operating budget which was in need of about $1.2 million.  After all of this was taken out we were left with $350,299 to allocate.  The assumptions and principles the budget group tried to meet with this budget planning outline were:

ASSUMPTIONS

  1. Elimination of all current staff vacancies (5 positions)
  2. No FY05 Rescission for the Library
  3. Swap of Phase III remodeling for Oak Street contribution

 

Included in the budget are:

 

  1. Filling of the current approved faculty vacancies (up to the amount available in pool)
  2. Full funding for Expense pool
  3. No layoffs of current staff
  4. No movement of ILSCO or OCLC to Collections

 

The Expense pool consists of basically our operating budget from year-to-year.  The following items are money we owe the campus from either borrowing or from deficits and also items that were taken out of our operating budget in past years that need to be restored. 

 

1.                  Oak Street debt

2.                  Chemistry debt

3.                  Deficit repayment

4.                  Restore Systems

5.                  OCLC budget

6.                  FY05 Oak Street

7.                  FY05 Facilities

8.                  ILCSO budget

9.                  Triple I budget

 

It was decided that Oak Street would need $300,000 for FY05.  $53,500 is one time expenses that will come out of unrestricted gift money.  There was also a campus tax of ¼ of 1 percent.  This was given back to the campus leaving us with 306,099 for distribution.  This money was distributed as follows:

200,000        collections

100,000         maintain hours

6,099              in reserves

 

Questions:

Betsy K. – Is there any money for reclasses?

The money will have to come from any reserve money we have set aside or any vacancies that occur.  There was not any money taken out of $306,000 to fund them.

 

What’s coming in FY06:

 

We don’t know much but we still owe 120k to the Provost to repay debt from previous years.  Any new money that we get will have to towards paying off the rest of our debt.

 

(Rod’s spreadsheet from the meeting is included in this message)

 

Report on forum on E-Research and Cyberinfrastructure (Beth Sandore)

 

Beth attended this meeting last Friday.  The National Science Foundation (NSF) has built a funding platform for Cyberspace in the Sciences and the Humanites and Social Sciences now have a division as well.  “Town hall” type meetings are currently being held to gather information from publishers and academic presses, and to ask questions regarding how these platforms will be built.  What resources will be included?  What tools will support them?  And, finally, what do we want to do with them?

 

Speakers discussed the development of platforms for the sciences and what these developments would mean for the humanities.  According to the discussions, the humanities and social sciences do not work with data in the same way as the sciences and tend to write more about data.  Changes in the practices of work in these fields are slow building and more difficult to document.  The NSF does not yet know how to fund the software that will be needed for these disciplines and at this point in development the focus is centered upon software and developing it collaboratively.   There is an increased demand for data curation in this area, and a belief that initiative should come from the disciplines and not university administration. The general public is driving much of the digitization of humanities and social sciences materials and there is a need to determine how to effectively handle copyright issues in building humanities resources.

 

This project does have a relationship to AQIFER, which Paula reported to the faculty about at an earlier meeting.

 

Beth’s ideas from the meeting:

1.  Software and tools need to be developed.

2. We need environments that allow for authenticated use of copyrighted materials.

3.  In some areas metadata schemas need to be simplified.

4. Discovery and access points also need to be simplied.

 

For more information, please see the urls below:

 

Many presentations from the October CNI/ARL forum, E-Research and
Supporting Cyberinfrastructure, are now available online at
http://www.arl.org/forum04/#proceedings.

 

Dan Atkins' slides from the Oct. 15 ARL meeting on E-Research

and Cyberinfrastructure (and related talks):

http://www.communitytechnology.org/products.html

 

Report of the NSF Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on

Cyberinfrastructure:

http://www.cise.nsf.gov/sci/reports/toc.cfm

 

ACLS Commission on Cyberinfrastructure in the Humanities and

Social Sciences:

http://www.acls.org/cyberinfrastructure/cyber.htm

 

Alvan Bregman commented that the way humanities and social sciences research was depicted at the forum seemed somewhat old-fashioned.  He wondered why only digitised information should henceforth have value since artifacts, including books, carry special information and are themselves the objects of study, by scientists as well as others. In addition, he felt the practical implications of conclusions reached at the forum needed to be particularized for our library."

 

Paula indicated that in light of theinterest in this topic, and the limited time available at this meeting, she would invite John Unsworth to lead a discussion about cyberinfrastructurefor the humanities and social sciences at a separate forum (subsequentlyheld on November 8).

 

 

6. Old business

 

There was no old business.

 

7. New business

 

Barbara Ford reported on the University of Toronto librarians’ visit to UIUC and announced the next Mortenson Center Distinguished lecture.

 

Lynne Rudasill announced that the Education and Social Science library would hold an open house on Thursday from 2:00 to 4:00.

 

Cindy Ingold announced that the Women and Gender Resources Library would hold an open house on November 12 th from 2:00 – 4:00.  The open house will also be a ribbon cutting for the newly remodeled space. 

 

 

8. Announcements